Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

NO rear crank seal???

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I put a VT MC/booster in a VN with stock VN calipers. Bitch stopped good but very easy to lock the brakes too ,stock size rotor/caliper with upgraded pads. It was also manual so required much less use of the brakes.

My HJ stopped better, until I fitted a BW78 disc diff.

Possibly mismatched master and slave cylinder sizes?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The HT Prem had drums all round and no booster. Brougham had the front discs and a booster. We upgraded them. Stopping a car well should not be a premium option.

Holden penny pinching on the final product for a long time. Same for my HX and HZ. **** brakes when the Japanese competition at the time had better.

Nothing really changed the whole way through until the end. The brakes might feel good… until you drive a basic Toyota or similar.

Pretty sure the Prems had the disc brake option.....

The big 3 manufacturers back then always skimped on brakes....Discs on the front were mostly an option, rather than mandatory, unless it was a V8....Then disc fronts were fitted from the factory

I have a 1971 6cyl model car here with discs on the front and no booster....Certainly a different pedal feel with that car

Unfortunately back then, brakes weren't high on the priority list with the big 3.....It was all about going fast, mainly in a straight line...If it turned, that was a bonus...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have a 1971 6cyl model car here with discs on the front and no booster....Certainly a different pedal feel with that car

Unfortunately back then, brakes weren't high on the priority list with the big 3.....It was all about going fast, mainly in a straight line...If it turned, that was a bonus...
The two US brands it was all about power. Holden's from HQ on focused on handling more so. They certainly weren't offering big sixes and V8s when the biggest 6 was a 202 and V8's as small a 253.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The two US brands it was all about power. Holden's from HQ on focused on handling more so. They certainly weren't offering big sixes and V8s when the biggest 6 was a 202 and V8's as small a 253.

All 3 brands were focused on power.....People do seem to forget, Chrysler is a US company...Yes Holden was moving forward quicker with suspension design compared to the other 2, but brakes certainly weren't high on the priority list for a few more years after the HQ was released, along with the Fords...Chrysler....Well, they persisted with the same system introduced in 1970 (or there abouts), right upto the death knell in 1982

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Ours was an untouched 69 Prem and had drums all round (originally) and three in the tree on a 253.

Dave6179

Reaction score
Members Ride
HJ Belmont, VN Calais, VX SS
Right, I think I know why seals are being left out. They don't fit. Full gasket set from Auto Surplus, 2 piece rope seal is way too thick. I even tried one from a 202 (same dia journals) but similar issue. Any more than finger tight on the bolts and the crank won't rotate! Any ideas? I've emailed A/S and ZZP in the states. Waiting for replies, asking everywhere!

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
There's a dude called Mirabito Performance, into Hemi stuff. He uses a neoprene crank seal which replaces the old rope seals.

I suspect though that you are well past having the block machined to suit.
Never know though, might all work out?

Dave6179

Reaction score
Members Ride
HJ Belmont, VN Calais, VX SS
Seen that vid, and many others. Only have a groove in the block and cap. And yeah, too late to machine for something else. About a 3 week wait just for them to look at it!

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
There's no way to convert to the later VN seal on an early VN motor is there?