Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

No reverse in my vr :(

v6lux

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 (was VR) V6 Hilux
Also check your 3 engine mounts. You can do this with a jack on the transmission and each side of the sump with flat wood to spread the pressure so you don't bend the sump. Don't go too high if they are all intact. Just check to see if they are in 1 piece. If you have a broken mount, this can alter the shift linkage when you dump it into a gear with high revs.

b.e.a.s.t.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Senator 5.7
Check your solonoid i had the same problem. Mines gd as new now.

whitevrboi

Just another white vr.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive S2
Cheers guys will check both of those too...how would i go about checking the solenoid? a multi meter?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6

whitevrboi

Just another white vr.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive S2
Ok well i havent got an error code so i'm guessing its the linkage...n nah i havent checked it yet, it'll probably be a saturday morning job as i'm working all week. If it is bent can i bend it back into place or will i have to replace it?

whitevrboi

Just another white vr.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive S2
Ok so I had a look underneath this morning. The linkage seems fine, its selecting the correct gear and holding it as well so its not jumping out and doesnt seem sloppy. The only problem I found is that there is a fair bit of sideways movement in it. Probably only a centimetre or so to either side. It seems like the movement is coming from where the linkage goes through the body pan to the gear selector. Should I just take it to a Transmission mob? I really appreciate everyones help :)

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yeah, if you cant find anything thats obviously wrong, take it somewhere and get them to check it out.Let us know how you go.

angiebear25

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR calais 3.8 v6
i've just lost reverse in my vr last night and now i am trying to figure out the issue but if it's signs of a failing gearbox then i'm screwed :( and don't exactly have money until next fortnight to get it looked at or get another gearbox atm