Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

No stereo and silent indicators?

mbiondo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Need some help guys, this is a weird one. My car is a 2017 SSV Redline. Started the car this morning and noticed that the stereo wasn't coming on. Just a black screen. Pressing or holding the power button did nothing. Also noticed that the park assist is not working and that the indicators make no noise when they are on. They will flash, but no ticking sound. I disconnected the battery for an hour thinking something might need a reset, but it didn't work. Anyone experienced this before?

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Need some help guys, this is a weird one. My car is a 2017 SSV Redline. Started the car this morning and noticed that the stereo wasn't coming on. Just a black screen. Pressing or holding the power button did nothing. Also noticed that the park assist is not working and that the indicators make no noise when they are on. They will flash, but no ticking sound. I disconnected the battery for an hour thinking something might need a reset, but it didn't work. Anyone experienced this before?
I had something similar with my VF2 where the screen just went blank for a bit and park assist didn't work, but it worked shortly after and didn't happen again so it was just a glitch for me...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@mbiondo, the indicator sound is sent to Mylink as a command via one of the data buses, then Mylink then plays the sound as directed… Same methods are used for lots of other functions that require notification…

So if Mylink isn’t working, no indicator sounds and lots of other functions it provides also wont work. But why isn’t it working?

Guess the first think to check is any Mylink dedicated fuses for the unit, as a blown fuse will mean the unit isn’t getting power and can’t talk to anything. If all fuses are ok, then you’d need to use a diagnostic tool to check whether you can communicate with the MyLink modules. If you can5 communicate with Mylink, then you’d have a bunch of U code DTC’s (one would expect) stored within the relevant modules that talk to Mylink. May be worth checking DTC’s within ynenBCm since IIRC it has/does some central hub bus translations functions…

The PDF of VF workshop manual should have the appropriate wiring diagrams for the features that Mylink is involved in. Unfortunately. the relevant diagrams are probably spread over lots of sections and it will take a while to locate then all. The PDF isn’t the easiest to navigate so best to use a PC and have the bookmark pane showing so you can click on the relevant sections as the internal (blue) links don’t work.…

Good luck with it :p

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
its not like old radios where you have a battery wire and the ignition wire switches it on, the mylinks power state is controlled by the canbus and the system can glitch and not notify the mylink to turn on when you start the vehicle.

there are a few things you can try...

try to turn the mylink on manually by pressing the power button on it, if it turns on this will rule out blown fuses.
leave the vehicle shut off for 30 mins with the drivers door open then try start it again.

in most cases popping off the negative battery lead for a few minutes will reset the system and fix it but now with people starting to post about hvac modules blowing i am not sure if it is advisable in the vf anymore.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
its not like old radios where you have a battery wire and the ignition wire switches it on, the mylinks power state is controlled by the canbus and the system can glitch and not notify the mylink to turn on when you start the vehicle.

there are a few things you can try...

try to turn the mylink on manually by pressing the power button on it, if it turns on this will rule out blown fuses.
leave the vehicle shut off for 30 mins with the drivers door open then try start it again.

in most cases popping off the negative battery lead for a few minutes will reset the system and fix it but now with people starting to post about hvac modules blowing i am not sure if it is advisable in the vf anymore.
and if all that doesn’t work, check fuses :p:p:p

mbiondo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Well, I tried disconnecting the battery for an hour. Still no good. I installed a new battery. Still no good. I checked the "Radio" fuse and its fine. Not sure what other fuse to check? So the stereo wont come on (even if i press the power button), the indicators are silent, the park assist is not working and noticed that the TPM sensors are not working as no tyre pressure is being displayed. Are all these dependant on the MyLink system working? I would have thought the TPM would be separate, but I really don't know.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sounds like you need a skilled person to do a diagnosis and find the root cause.

The video below is interesting and highlights some mechanics aren’t interested in finding the root cause but prefer throwing parts at something.

The challenge is finding a good mechanic :cool:

( video was copied from the following thread, https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/fault-codes-and-bad-earths.296087/ )

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
Mine did exactly what yours did. Except I think I still had indicator sounds. To me, indicators working ruled out it being a power issue to the headunit. Have you got seat warmers? Previously it has been brought up on JC that Mylink acts as a carrier for the buttons under the face vents. If they work then you know that your case isn't a power issue to the headunit.

Mine dying also seemed to of cooked the radio reception. The times mylink did turn on. I'd have static in places I where I'd previously have great reception. And this is the only function that hasn't sorted itself after changing to an aftermarket headunit. All of the features that come by the canbus like park sensors and vehicle settings work perfectly fine now that those functions are handled by a module.

I tried playing with fuses, the battery lead, the plugs on the back of both screen and headunits. Even stupid hacky s*** like pressing and holding buttons in certain orders based of google searches. Nothing solved the actual issue.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
it sounds like the mylink base unit might be dead.
if you cant turn it on by pressing the power button and you checked the fuses then that is not a good sign because that will turn it on while sitting on a bench with no canbus connected.
no sounds rules out a dead display module because even without the display it should have sounds.

you said its a 2017 so if i was you i would be trying to get something done by holden to fix the issue at their cost.

you mentioned you changed the battery, did this happen after the change?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
As is, a reasonably newish car shouldn’t have such issues so I second what stooge said and suggest you take it to Holden and have them look at it under factory/statutory warranty.

Being a 2017 VF makes it around 5 years old so the car may be still covered by the 5 year factory warranty (unless you had 7 year factory warranty in which case you shouldn’t have any arguments).

If you bought the car second hand and it’s outside the 5 year factory warranty, you’re still covered by ACL statutory warranty as MyLink systems shouldn’t die so easily and quickly. ACL doesn’t specify a duration for the statutory warranty and simply requires a products be durable for a reasonable period based on price and other factors. Being that Holden themselves also sold VF with 7 year warranty should mean they can’t say that a statutory warranty should be no longer than their factory warranty.

But if you bought the vehicle privately and it’s outside factory warranty you’re fooked as no statutory warranty exists.

Let us know how you progress.