Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Noise defect

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
A pink slip, as with a roadworthy proves that the vehicle is in roadworthy condition when presented. It will be on the owner to prove that they havent done something to make it not comply.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
A pink slip, as with a roadworthy proves that the vehicle is in roadworthy condition when presented. It will be on the owner to prove that they havent done something to make it not comply.

A good way to prove this is by looking at the exhaust clamp nuts....When they are removed the spanner or socket cleans away the build up of gunk or surface rust, leaving nice shiny spots, where it has grabbed.

so this is more food for thought for the op

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
Just got the car pink slipped? Isn't that a roadworthy for change of ownership or to re-register a car? If so, how long ago was this done? Isn't there a certain period that the roadworthy is valid?

You might have a come back on the person that did the roadworthy for this defect.....It all depends if the roadworthy period is still valid and you'd also have to prove that the exhaust is the one fitted at the time of the roadworthy, which isn't too hard to do....

Food for thought

No come back on the place issuing the pink slip as a noise test is not part of the inspection , when the vehicle was presented the exhaust was commented as being louder then normal but not tested .
you could drive the same vehicle thru different streets with varying amounts of throttle from built up streets to open streets with vary different results .
recommend you get to Bunnings buy some chicken wire roll it up and slide it up the tail pipe out of sight and head to the tester station for a test on the exhaust noise .

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
As far as I know, a roadworthy inspection is related to the safety of the vehicle and compliance with safety regulations. Unless it's obnoxiously loud or obviously cammed or tuned (think mafless tune - a visible emissions deficiency).

The onus is on the driver of the vehicle to prove that the vehicle complies with emissions requirements. It's not practical for the roadworthy/safety inspector to pull the car apart and do testing to make sure it complies.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
No come back on the place issuing the pink slip as a noise test is not part of the inspection , when the vehicle was presented the exhaust was commented as being louder then normal but not tested .
you could drive the same vehicle thru different streets with varying amounts of throttle from built up streets to open streets with vary different results .
recommend you get to Bunnings buy some chicken wire roll it up and slide it up the tail pipe out of sight and head to the tester station for a test on the exhaust noise .

Wouldn't there be a come back, considering the OP was done for having no rear muffler and it seems it was surposed to be there in the beginning?

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
as long as the vehicle is fitted with an effective exhaust that when inspected doesn't have leaks or exits the vehicle 6" before the last opening of the vehicle and has one or more mufflers and retains required emission devices it is deemed to be roadworthy .

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
as long as the vehicle is fitted with an effective exhaust that when inspected doesn't have leaks or exits the vehicle 6" before the last opening of the vehicle and has one or more mufflers and retains required emission devices it is deemed to be roadworthy .

I completely understand where you are coming from, however having a copper ping you for something that was deemed fine by a accrediated roadworthy place would be enough for me to be asking questions about the credibility of the place, via the transport dept or alikes, if a specific time frame exists for the validity of a roadworthy.

Don't take it as me being "argumentative", but unfortunately you see and read too often about this type of thing occurring, hence me querying it all.

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
A copper doesn't have to prove its too loud just has to suspect that it is faulty or defective and write you a notice or contact the EPA to send you a notice to have it tested .

How many Harley's do you see and hear go thundering past with open pipes or shot gun pipes fitted .

roadworthy inspections do not require noise testing to pass the inspection .

another example of roadworthy issued then questioned , I had my own WB tonner inspected and passed for roadworthy then off to Prickroads the first thing the guy spots is the 295 tyres on the rear protruding no more than 5mm from under the sides of the tray , still registered the ute and been like that for over two years now no further hassles

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
A roadworthy is not a full inspection for registration. As already said, noise testing is not a requirement, nor is meeting all relevant ADR's. Basically, all they do is check that everything works and there is no structural rust.

Also, just because a copper has cited the car for being too noisy, doesn't necessarily mean it actually is, only in the copper's opinion.

One would hope that there is consistency in all aspects of vehicle inspections and checks, but because humans are involved, opinions vary greatly so there will always be differing results. As an example, I have had a car inspected many years ago at two different places, only because the first place closed after the initial inspection, I had rectified the couple of things noted on the first inspection, but since the second guy didn't do the first check, he went over everything again and picked a couple of extra things that weren't noted on the first one.