Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Noise filter or ground loop isolator?

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
Hey guys,

I have installed a 4ch amp using the high-inputs and have got really bad noise through my speakers and from my alternator itself. After trying several things like regrounding with a fatter cable in a better spot, moving wiring away from power wire, testing each channel to see if one's picking up the interference, etc, to the point where I took it to an auto-sparky. He said it's the amp causing it as once you take the power wire off the amp, the noise goes away. So he said to install some noise filters and see what happens. After doing a bit of reading and going into a store, the guy told me to use LOC's and ground loop isolators. Will this help my problem? Would I be better off buying the GLI's or noise filters? Or both?

The only noise filters I can find in stores are only 5amp too which dad thinks will be too low. On the net though I can get up to 40amp ones. I'm thinking of running a 40amp noise filter, and a 4ch ground loop isolator. Will this help or is it all just wasted money?

madnuts

Lives around high voltage
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commonwhore
what sort of head unit u running

madnuts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commonwhore
are you using a hi-lo rca converter or just from speakers wires to the amp

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
At the moment i'm just running the speaker wire to the high-input of the amp, but planned on running them into a LOC then the ground loop isolator.

madnuts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commonwhore
get a hi-lo converter run some rca and see how you go it should rid you of the noise