Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Noise from motor

eggman18

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Wagon
Hi guys. I own a VR commodore and am experiencing a loud metal on metal noise coming from the motor every time i wind it over. I have had a mechanic friend have a look at it and he picked staright away, saying that it was the Harmonic balancer in the crank shaft. Im just after some advice on what is involved in replacing this part, and what tools you would recommend that i would need to do so? Cheers, David.

CAMZVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Wagon
you gonna need a new harmonic balancer obviously
you need a decent breaker bar to remove the main bolt
you also need to get a harmonic balancer puller to suit holden v6s most spares parts stores stock them there not to expensive.
if you got some extra cash may aswell change the crank angle sensor saves pulling the balancer off again when it goes
hope this helps cheers cam

eggman18

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Wagon
Hi Cameron, ok. i have taken the main bolt out from the centre of the crank shaft. What are the steps involved after this to taking the pulley off and replacing the CAS and harmonic balancer?

Cheers,
David

VzVzVz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S ute
Engine strip, by a mechanic of course. Big job, but prevents your engine from eating its self

While you're there, you may as well get it balanced.

crazy.vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
Hi Cameron, ok. i have taken the main bolt out from the centre of the crank shaft. What are the steps involved after this to taking the pulley off and replacing the CAS and harmonic balancer?

Cheers,
David

You then need to use a 3 jaw puller to pull the balancer off the crank and behind there on the left hand side of the motor will be the crank angle sensor held by 2 screws. Unplug it and take the screws off to remove it. Put the new one in and new balancer. I recommend a rattle gun to do the balancer bolt up again. Make sure the slot on the new balancer lines up with the crank shaft slot. That's it.

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
Engine strip, by a mechanic of course. Big job, but prevents your engine from eating its self

While you're there, you may as well get it balanced.

what? geez love to be your mechanic! i'd be a rich man!