Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

noise in wheel

B

beazel

when turning left i get a noise coming from the front right wheel,the noise sounds like a grind.any suggestions :it disappears when you straighen the wheel to the central position? :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
P

prattypkd

l have the same problem but it does it in both directions and stops when l straighten the wheel.l have had my front end checked out by holden they replaced 1 of my k-frame bushes and said the rest of my front end is fine but it is still doing it.l wish l knew what it was cause it is ******* me off.
if you find out what it is can you post in here please.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
My VS always "groans" when turning left or right BUT only whilst actually turning the wheel - I've been told this is something peculiar to these cars and the type of power steering pump and is more noticeable with reconditioned pumps which my VS has.

Cryogenic

Indifferent
Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 HSV VX Clubsport
is it a metallic gind or that "you need to put more power sterring fluid in the res" moan?

N

NXNVR-6

I heard a simular noise, while doing ' laps ' the other week, I just brushed it off as rocks in the brakes, as a few people I talked to, said they had simular problems that night.. recent road works.

L

losnick

I got this from another post and i tried it yesterday and it worked like a gem. Thanx Chridda.

QOUTE:

ChRiDDa

mm the old power steering in the vs commodore...does it do it all the time or only when its cold? there is a rubber grommit, up near the firewall, that covers the shaft, leading down to the rack...now in between the grommit n shaft, gets really dry, causing it to moanget a screwdriver with some grease on it, and get it stuck between the two...turn the steering from side to side to smother it all around bobs your uncle. most places that dont know their stuff will replace the pump when its something simple, such as greasing the grommit

Cryogenic

Indifferent
Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 HSV VX Clubsport
have you checked your brake pads?

G

GeorgeB

Noise when turning

i've had the same problem... i used to have the noise when turning left slowly.. i got my power steering racks reconditioned & all the other stuff was all good. they suggested that it could have been air going inside the rack creating that annoying noise.. but its not true..... what you can try cause this is what i did... Get a bottle of car OIL repairer and put it into the power steering fluid tube... keep driving it for a few days to let it run through. and it might do the trick...

although that is a solution the problem might be more... cause now i still have a moaning sound when i turn the wheel to almost full lock especially when the car is cold. im gettin it fixed tomorrow so ill let you know what the problem is...

but try the car oil repairer... it could be as simple as that... i rekon that is all you need... cause i havent even put much of that car OIL repairer into my car yet.. but the first time i did it made a massive improvement... its worth a shot... its not goin to do any harm to your car...

goodluck..

statesman_vs_s1

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Statesman Series 1 V6
Check your brake pads!

My sister has a 01' Holden Astra 2 door.
Was doing the same thing when turning right.
Turned out it was the wear indicator on the brake pads.
Fitted new brake pads and problem solved.