Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Noise that wont go away!!!

vk3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
BT50............ while the vk is rebuilt
G'day all.

Have slight problem with my VX S.

Had a noise coming from the clutch/ gear box area. So went on the hunt to track it down. Eliminated the thrust bearing so it was down to clutch or gear box for the noise.
Replaced the dual mass system with a soild flywheel and clutch to match. Noise remained.
While we had the box out took it to gearbox man for them to have a look over, as there was some play in the input shaft. They said the front bearing could be on its way. So instead of having them reco the box, i got new box.
Put the new box in on weekend and guess what, that bloody noise is till there!!!!!

The noise happens when the clutch is out at idle and it can be heard while driving. No noise while clutch is in. Any one got any ideas on this.

vs commo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
wat sort of noise is it a rattle or a bang?was the box new box u got new or second hand?did u replace the whole clutch?

vk3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
Noise is abit like a grinding or dry bearing.
Gear box is brand new.
Whole of clutch was replaced include spigot bush and thrust bearing.

vk3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
Spigot is new as old one fell out when every thing was pulled out.
Noise seems to be getting worse so any ideas would be great no matter how strange they seem.

vk3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ill give it a go.

Noise happens when the car is idle out of gear. Put clutch in and noise goes away. I noticed this morning that i can also feel a vibration as the clutch engages. There is also a noise while your driving but i can't be sure its the same noise.
It sounds a bit like when a bearing in the water pump goes, grinding, knocking sound.

damotheking

Reaction score
i duno but i sorta had the same problem same noise sounded near the gearbox u said but i was wrong
u said any help would help so

try the big belt that goes around all ur pulleys
loosen the belt and spin the pulleys circle things to see if 1 is buggered when my car was in neautral
and of i took a nasty noise was coming seemed a pulley bearing was ####ed wen spinning under pressurethatcame that nasty noise would come sounded like my whold gear box was buggered

let me know how u go

vk3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
Im thinking that something has gone in wrong.

While playing with it over weekend it was noticed that even with the clutch on the floor it appears as though its still part engaged as its hard than it should be to get into gear and the tail shaft give a little twist at the same time (when putting it into gear).

vk3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
We think that we have found what the noise was, well put it this way its not making the noise anymore.

The new clutch was faulty. Only about 25-30mm of the clutch plate was in contact with the fly wheel and the thurst bearing wasn't making proper contact either.
So the brand new clutch is out and the old dual mass is back in and its oh so quite now.

Thanks to those that tried to help out.