Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Noise that wont go away!!!

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
good to know mate.

question, i got the same car as you... what did the solid flywheel feel like compared to the dual mass??

like the feel of it and changing gears etc etc

cheers

vk3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
BT50............ while the vk is rebuilt
When it first went in it felt great. Felt a lot more responsive then the dual mass. If it wasn't faulty i'd still have it in there put it that way.
Some people have said that they are noisy but i cant really comment on that due to mine not working properly, cause it was very noisy and was getting worse.

In other threads people have said that if you want performance over looks and sound then solid is way to go, but if you want it quiet and can deal with a little less performance stick with the dual mass.

As for changing gears i cant really compare as i put a new gear box in at the same time and is very tight compared to the old one. Although there would have been bout a week that i still had the old box in there and it felt good. But it would also depend on which gear box you have M35 or T5? I didn't realise till having to source new parts that you can get a VX with a T5.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
some minor gear chatter is pretty normal in most commodore manuals and is normal
best way to tell if normal noise is compare it to another car by hearing it.

low gearbox oil or incorrect oil viscosity will result in similar problems and premature wear of internals of box
if oil okay my guess is pilot bearing or throwout bearing
did you lube the shaft on installing throwout bearing? is it a new bearing? did you replace pilot bush/bearing on new flywheel?

this below from here
Clutch Troubleshooting
Abnormal Noises
Faulty clutch parts can make various noises. When an operator reports that a clutch is making noise, find out when the noise is heard. Does the sound occur when the pedal is moved, when in neutral, when in gear, or when the pedal is held to the floor? This will assist you in determining which parts are producing these noises. see below for what causes noise in different clutch pedal positions.

more useful info on clutches noise finding
HowStuffWorks "Common Problems and Other Types of Clutches"

An operator reports hearing a scraping, clunking, or squeaking sound when the clutch pedal is moved up or down. This is a good sign of a worn or unlubricated clutch release mechanism. With the engine off, pump the pedal and listen for the sound. Once the source of the sound is located, you should clean, lubricate, or replace the parts as required.

Sounds produced from the clutch, when the clutch is initially ENGAGED, are generally due to friction disc problems, such as a worn clutch disc facing, which causes a metal-to-metal grinding sound. A rattling or a knocking sound may be produced by weak or broken clutch disc torsion springs. These sounds indicate problems that require the removal of the transmission and clutch assembly for repair.

If clutch noises are noticeable when the clutch is DISENGAGED, the trouble is most likely the clutch release bearing. The bearing is probably either worn, binding, or, in some cases, loses its lubricant. Most clutch release bearings are factory lubricated; however, on some larger trucks and construction equipment, the bearing requires periodic lubrication. A worn pilot bearing may also produce noises when the clutch is disengaged. The worn pilot bearing can let the transmission input shaft and clutch disc vibrate up and down, causing an unusual noise.

Sounds heard in NEUTRAL, that disappear when the clutch pedal is pushed, are caused by problems inside the transmission. Many of these sounds are due to worn bearings. However, always refer to the troubleshooting chart in the manufacturer's manual.

vk3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the reply db_notso but this was a brand new clutch system that was making the noise. New flywheel, clutch plate, pressure plate, thrust bearing and spigot bush.

Original noise, what i thought was the thrust bearing turned out to be the front main bearing in the gear box. You can move the input shaft of the gear box by hand. Hence the new gear box. Local gear box place wanted $1800 to reco picked up brand new box for $2200.

There are heat makes on the flywheel from it only have less than 1/3 of the contact it should have and this is from less than 2000kms. There are also marks on the clutch plate from the thrust bearing indicating that it wasn't making proper contact.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
There are heat makes on the flywheel from it only have less than 1/3 of the contact it should have and this is from less than 2000kms. There are also marks on the clutch plate from the thrust bearing indicating that it wasn't making proper contact.
is this the old parts your talking about? im assuming anyway

what does the above diagnosis point you too now?

vk3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not that's the new parts. Clutch industries system bought from repco.

It was as if the fly wheel or clutch plate has a bow in it.

At the moment i have the old dual mass clutch system back in it and it seems to be running fine. Plenty on plate left and only really replaced it as the original clutch went at 95000kms and I was at 190000kms. We thought at the time that it could have been the clutch on the way again, but it turned out to be the main bearing in the gear box. Holden told me at 95000kms that the dual mass have a habit of only lasting that long.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
right depending on how the owner drives it i suppose
so noise is gone now with old parts refitted? but same (new) gear box?

if noise isnt bearing on new stuff (throw out or spigot) then it may be loose clutch plate springs...

vk3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
Noise is gone. Old clutch system with new gear box fitted.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
well had to have been a component of new clutch then

are the little springs on the new clutch plate loose?
or bearings noisy to spin by hand?