Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

noisy interior blower fan

tororossi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz exec
hi all

my 2006 vz exec has a noisy interior blower fan, all the way from speed 1 to 4 (even with AC on or off)... its sounds like i got a leaf or stick stuck in there, or worse...

can someone please tell me how to get to the fan and pull it out in order to check (chuck?) it out... (or please redirect me to a relevant thread)

thanking you in advance.....

cheers

Exidor

I come in peace.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Used Martian spacecraft
1. Unclip the plastic cover under the passengers side footwell.

2. You should now be able to see the base of the fan. It's clipped in on the left hand side and also held in with three screws. Undo the screws, unclip the cables the entire fan should slide right out.

3. If you shine a torch up in the space you should see a plastic grill covered in dust and maybe some leaves, might be worthwhile removing any of these if you can... back to the fan...

4. Undo the screws at the base of the fan and unclip the cables, you should now be able to slide off the plastic cover.

5. In my case the entire thing was covered in a sh!tload of black dust and crap which had got into the bearings and was causing the noise. I cleaned the whole thing up with some contact cleaner and a wet rag before relubing it with some spray grease.

6. After cleaning, simply reverse the steps to refit and connect all cables. Fan should now be whisper quiet

Thank "MatsV6" for the above.

mattsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SENATOR
Thanks for pasting the above. If you want a little more detail about the problem check out this thread:
VZ Calais Climate Control Fan Noise

A mate of mine used that technique but unfortunatley it didn't fix the problem for him. Have a go yourself and if it doesn't work you can always replace the fan... although I'm not sure how much a new one would cost??

Cheers

tororossi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz exec
thanks rodbol and mattsv6...

i got the fan out but it looked relatively clean (no leaves)...
should i have been able to crack into the black housing to get to the bearing?? i didnt want to force any plastic bits apart so i sprayed silicon lube throught the gap between the blades and the black housing hoping to hit the spindle/bearing.... i got the fan back in (the hardest part of the job) and it was definitely quieter (not as bad as the youtube clip)...

thanks again for the quick help.....

mattsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SENATOR
Guys, I just posted this in the other thread but in case you're wondering...

I just called up Coventry's here in WA, a new fan is only $50 so if the problem doesn't go away at least it's a cheap fix :)

mattsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SENATOR
new fan installed this morning and problem has gone :D

Cod

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I've a VZ exec and also have a noisy fan, it’s not a ticking but a deeper sounding vibration as if the fan was warped or unbalanced, gets louder as you increase fan speed (could possibly be something soft flapping about).

So happy after reading those instructions I’ll have a go at getting in there, I thought the entire dash may need to come apart! If I can't see any foreign matter I’ll replace the fan with a new one.

Cheers!

VN_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VT commodore
$50.00 where is that price from ? I live in Perth and the best price I could get any where is $195.00

Cod

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
$50.00 where is that price from ? I live in Perth and the best price I could get any where is $195.00

I bought mine from Amcap in Welshpool. They basically have the same prices as Conventrys (possibly cheaper)but have EVERYTHING in stock and i recommend going there, they're a massive logistics company.

$50 is correct, what has more than likely happened VN_Bucket is you've asked for a blower fan or just "fan" and they've quoted you on one of the radiator fans, that's what happened to me.
You gotta say NO, THE FAN INSIDE THE CAR THAT IS USED BY THE AIR CON. Until you get a price close to $50 they're still telling you the wrong one.
I said "blower fan", "interior fan" and they still kept quoting me the damn radiator fan.

Sorry I don't have the part number handy here at work, but just be persistant until they look up the right part for you.

chalkybones

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
1. Unclip the plastic cover under the passengers side footwell.

2. You should now be able to see the base of the fan. It's clipped in on the left hand side and also held in with three screws. Undo the screws, unclip the cables the entire fan should slide right out.

3. If you shine a torch up in the space you should see a plastic grill covered in dust and maybe some leaves, might be worthwhile removing any of these if you can... back to the fan...

4. Undo the screws at the base of the fan and unclip the cables, you should now be able to slide off the plastic cover.

5. In my case the entire thing was covered in a sh!tload of black dust and crap which had got into the bearings and was causing the noise. I cleaned the whole thing up with some contact cleaner and a wet rag before relubing it with some spray grease.

6. After cleaning, simply reverse the steps to refit and connect all cables. Fan should now be whisper quiet

Thank "MatsV6" for the above.

I've just had a look at my fan due to very similar noises from it. I would like to ask what is the recommended lubricant to use on the fan? I believe WD40 or similar is no good.

Thanks.