Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Noisy L77

Ve calais 2011

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden ve Calais 2011 l77
As the other guy said remove the drive belt and run the engine for a bit and you’ll know for sure if it’s a driven accessory i.e. idler pulley, water pump etc or internal engine noise
Hey mate,

I did that this afternoon, it still makes the same noise.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hey mate,

Yeah it’s got AFM. The noise has only been there for about 2 weeks. I’ve only had the car about 6 months, it’s got 135000 ks on the clock.
If it hasn't lunched the cam and all the bearings yet, then don't drive it before it's fixed or you soon will.

crew chief

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Turbo, WB Ute, VF 2300 Harrop
Only a guess but it may even be a broken timing chain tensioner/guide, sounds like its rubbing on the chain when it gets some whip after being revved, they are prone to fail on the gen 4 engines and an LS2 style dog bone is the best fix. You will be in there anyway if you DOD delete.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Only a guess but it may even be a broken timing chain tensioner/guide, sounds like its rubbing on the chain when it gets some whip after being revved, they are prone to fail on the gen 4 engines and an LS2 style dog bone is the best fix. You will be in there anyway if you DOD delete.
I'm going for this one! Also made the change in my own l77