Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

BONK/CLUNK NOISE VF SV6 automatic 2016

Jasonjohn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sv6
Hi all, I’m in a very difficult situation. I have been to 3 mechanics and a transmission shop. Recently I’ve been noticing a bonk/clunk noise at speeds between 20-60km noise disappears at speed of 60-80 turning into a spinning/gurgling faint noise under the car. Today I took my car to another mechanic, up on a hoist with the wheels spinning and we heard diff backlash with clunk noise. Note - I had the diff in my car replaced 3 years ago.

We also are hearing a clunk noise when shifting from park to drive and reverse to drive from the gear box selecting gears, the noise is about a second delay after engaging gears.

Could this problem in the diff be a separate problem from the gearbox? I don’t know who to trust or what differential or transmission shop to go to. Would appreciate any help

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
There was a TSB on rear gearbox flange movement causing a clunk in some situations. It was resolved by removing and reinstalling the flange with loctite but I'd have thought the underlying issue was one of clearance between shaft splines and flange splines being too loose was ignores (as it would have been costlier to fix than glue).... So may be there is more of a headache coming for us all if that is indeed the case :eek:

Can't remember the TSB and I haven't go the time to search for it now but links to the doc have been posted previously somewhere within this forum. Worth hunting for the TSB and considering whether this is what you are suffering from ;)

Separate to the above mentioned TSB, a quick search also referenced the following preliminary doc

Later docs may exist within the NHTSA recall database (look for Chevy SS as that's much the same as out commodores with only LHD/RHD differences). Be sitting down when you see how much info 'mericans get access to and how we are treated as mushrooms in comparison :(

Just put "chevrolet ss" in the "VIN or year/make/model" box within the page below and make sure you are sitting down.

PS: professional mechanics/service agent should know this stuff so again professionals disappoint :mad:

PPS: doubt it's the diff but I'm no mechanic. And I shudder to suggest going to a dealer but they are supposedly the experts and have all that data on hand... But dealer techs actually reading such stuff, well... :oops:

Last edited:

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
Understandably, I get the stress. Having gone to multiple mechanics, if no one is giving you an answer, you can either keep going to other mechanics, sell it, or start digging into it.

Im of the view that when you get to that point its time to start diagnosing and going through a process of elimination.

Here's how I would be looking at it before loading the parts cannon or going to another mechanic

The issues are

20-60km, you get a clunking -

Id be thinking something mount/balance related

Are the wheels all balance?
Are all the wheels not buckled?
Is the tail shaft bearing stuffed?
Are the tail shaft couplings stuffed?
Are all the bolts in the drive line tightened?
Are the mounts (Trans mount, tail shaft bearing mount) tightened?
Diff mount bushings, are they buggered?

Gurgling sound

That to me flags something related to fluid, and gurgling means id be looking to the gearbox

Is something going on with the torque converter?
Is something going on with the fluid pump in the trans?
Are all the fluids at the correct level?
Unlikely, but worth checking the diff fluid too?

Clunking noise going to reverse

Right, something is likely loose

There is a Service Bulletin that describes this exact issue (seemingly)
I have attached the bulletin. Read it back to back, start considering it

In addition

There is movement in the diff, and you said you had it replaced.

Was it a brand new replacement?
If it was second hand, what was the condition?
Are the mounts stuffed?
Are the tail shaft couplings stuffed?
Could the drive axles themselves be stuffed?
If I disconnect the tailshaft, and rotate the wheels or rotate the diff back and forth, can I feel a clunk?
If I disconnect the tail shaft, and rotate the wheels or rotate the diff back and forth, does everything rotate smoothly?
If I put the gearbox into neutral and go underneath it, can I rotate the drive shaft by hand and does it feel smooth?

This is a long list, but it's going to give you some things to start considering and beginning your process of elimination. There is many more knowledgeable people on this forum who hopefully will add some things in too.

You've got a transmission, tail shaft, diff, and axles. Bearings and bushings mounting the various bits and bobs. Need to start at one end and work your way back.

An early investment in a 3 tonne Repco MechPro low profile jack and 4 axle stands has payed itself off many times over for me fixing and upgrading my car

There is a complete factory service manual on here. Search for it, download it and start reading. I have learnt so much from when I got my car to now just by literally sitting down and reading/studying that manual

Hopefully this gives you some pointers!

Attachments

• 6L45E Reverse Clunk.pdf
    152.1 KB · Views: 61

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Would a transmission place pick up on this?
Just incase you didn’t get the joke, @RevNev was joking about the late 70’s shagin wagon and all the bonking that occurred in that style of vehicle :p

As for the cause, it could be anything which is why it’s important to stick with a good mechanic when/if you find one.

Regardless, read the Chevy SS docs I linked in my post above as it can provide some food for thought. Also worth reading the following Chevy SS dos which states:

Some customers may comment on any of the following conditions:​
• A shake and/or shudder during light throttle acceleration between 25 and 80mph (40 and 128 km/h) steady state driving when transmission is not actively shifting gears.​
• A shudder feeling that may be described as driving over rumble strips or rough pavement.​
• Shudder feeling is evident in both Drive and M7 MY15-16 & L7 MY17, MY18 and MY19 mode.​

the above TSB points to

In the later doc it seems a specific trans flush can help weird vibration…

Now that brings up the question when was the last time your transmission was serviced (fluid flushed)?

PS: the doc @NJD-1992 posted (while I was slowly typing away is the loctited flange doc I mentioned earlier.