Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Noisy Lifters?? LS1

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
LS1 and even LS2 run the same bearing tolerances as the sames as older engines. So using a 50grade oil in them isn't going to hurt them. I use 50 grade in my VT SS LS1 and VE SSV. No problems, I couldn't run anything less, might as well put sewing machine oil in your engine. At operation temperature 60 grade is really the only grade that can keep up the 100 c viscosity. It is about keeping the film strength between the metal surfaces so they don't touch. 30 grade just won't be as great as 50 grade or higher.
My LS1 has the same problem has yours, at running temp the lifter noise travels right down the exhaust and echos. Come to think of it though, I haven't heard them in the last couple of months. I wouldn't worry too much about it. My VE SSV has it too, but it is very faint. How the LSx engines are. They are combustion engines, you can't expect them to be too quiet :p

Berlinarator

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS-Z
I read in the owners manual that oil degrades much faster if the engine is operated at constant high speeds, which might explain why I only noticed it when I pulled up at Maitland. I'm going to change the oil this weekend to see if it makes a difference.

So to what you said Boonz, it's the SSZ model which has an oil pressure gauge on the dash. At idle, it sits at 2.5 and when driving, 3. I don't even know what measurement or unit that represents. I assume those readings are normal though?

In the last two years at least, it's only ever had magnatec in it. The owners manual actually specifies 10w-30. Should I try and find an oil with that viscosity, or go with what users are recommending (10w-50)?

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
why do all oil threads turn into s##t fights.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
I read in the owners manual that oil degrades much faster if the engine is operated at constant high speeds, which might explain why I only noticed it when I pulled up at Maitland. I'm going to change the oil this weekend to see if it makes a difference.

So to what you said Boonz, it's the SSZ model which has an oil pressure gauge on the dash. At idle, it sits at 2.5 and when driving, 3. I don't even know what measurement or unit that represents. I assume those readings are normal though?

In the last two years at least, it's only ever had magnatec in it. The owners manual actually specifies 10w-30. Should I try and find an oil with that viscosity, or go with what users are recommending (10w-50)?

that pressure reading is in BAR... 1 bar is 14.5 psi... 50-55 psi is roughly what a gen 3 should have at highway speed and load

the magnatec oil your using, is it 10-30 or 10-40?

Berlinarator

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS-Z
Magnatec is 10w-40.

I assume that's a direct conversion, so if 1 bar = 14.5psi than 3 bars = 43.5 psi??

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
yep. thats about right, those gauges are a bit inacurrate, a PSI reading would be better to watch than a bar reading, but at least its a rough indication of what its doing... personally
id be gettting your oil pump checked out, they are a gyrotor type pump and bescause its cast aluminum doesnt take much to wear a small groove in the housing which causes oil to flow past the pump and not pressurise properly... thats the most comon failure ive seen.

but since yours still makes reasonable pressure, just be keeping an eye on it and see if it drops over time

karlos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S S/C & BA XR6T
LS1 and even LS2 run the same bearing tolerances as the sames as older engines. So using a 50grade oil in them isn't going to hurt them. I use 50 grade in my VT SS LS1 and VE SSV. No problems, I couldn't run anything less, might as well put sewing machine oil in your engine. At operation temperature 60 grade is really the only grade that can keep up the 100 c viscosity. It is about keeping the film strength between the metal surfaces so they don't touch. 30 grade just won't be as great as 50 grade or higher.
My LS1 has the same problem has yours, at running temp the lifter noise travels right down the exhaust and echos. Come to think of it though, I haven't heard them in the last couple of months. I wouldn't worry too much about it. My VE SSV has it too, but it is very faint. How the LSx engines are. They are combustion engines, you can't expect them to be too quiet :p

Look out you will get flamed and told you know nothing lol,if he's consistent that is?

Well said by the way.

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
I was under the impression that each bar on the VE dash gauges were 10psi. I could be totally wrong on this, as I just worked this out for myself. If it is 14.5, makes me feel a bit better.
Mine sits on 5 when first started, after about 3 minutes idle it goes down to 4.
When driving around town, it sits on 5 bars. Around the highway in 6th gear it will sit on 4.
When warmed up properly at idle mine sits on 3. I have never seen mine drop below 3 bars. I can't really remember, but when I first bought it, the car had the standard 30 grade oil and I think it may have been on 2 at idle. I think.

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Just to add, thick oil stopping noises doesn't always mean you are masking the problem. It just could be that you are getting enough oil to lubricate that moving part. So if you keep using a thinner oil and get noises well common sense would say that you are having metal on metal. Either way problem or no problem, if a thicker oil providing you don't start adding 70 grade or higher (lol) stops it, well that's no problem. Your engine will last longer in the long run then to have thinner oil with metal parts touching each other at a closer distance then normal.
30 grade oil is to make the engines meet the emission rates and cheaper fuel economy. At the end of the day, it is your engine and you are entitled to use what you think is best.
Some people will say their engines have done over 150,000km with 30 grade oil and never had any problems. Then again, I would like to see a car in racing conditions run on 30 grade, that would be interesting. :)