Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Nolathane vs Polyurethane for lower control arms

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Really, I don't how many Nolathane bushes (on link pins) were spat out by our old VS. Eventually fitted the new style links with ball joints at both ends and never had any other problems (with the link arms).

Also running a 225/50/17 on our VX, that extra bit of tyre side wall also makes a difference :)

Had the same issue for a few years. Once I replaced all the bushes in the front end it stopped, current links are 2 years/50k old and still tight. My conclusion is that link pin clunks are just a symptom of loose LCA's, casters and ball joints.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Or crap roads :(

I'd also done the caster bushes and ball joints.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
The uthane bushes are meant to be re-greased every 2 years, I actually read the manual when installing my kmac camber kit.. Had no idea until 6months ago.

I might try superpro next round of bush replacements, sick of the harshness from nolathane.

Most companies now are moving towards a Greasefree design. I know Nolathane has been replacing most of their lines in the last year or so.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
That is a great piece of info, I guess for anyone looking to replace bushes try get the new stock instead of the old kits

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
do NOT repeat NOT grease urethane bushes.

Polyurethane is very wear resistant and has a relatively low coefficient of friction. It's routinely used in the mining and transport industries as hopper and bed liners because ofthese characteristics.

greasing urethane allows dirt / road rubbish particles to be trapped against the mating surfaces, which basically makes for an abrasive paste between urethane bush and rubbing surface.

When installing dust with graphite powder, nothing else. If it squeaks in operation, either polish the mating surface or it's too hard a duro rating, get a softer bush.

If you do have to grease - usually only ever in maximum performance areas, with an expectation of frequent bush replacement - only ever grease the bore, never the outside of the bush, and make sure you use a lithium based grease, lithium / teflon is ok, petroleum and molydisulfide grease will actually chemically react with the bush

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Grease was in the kit and was in the instructions.. I use the term grease, without knowing its actual compound.. It was a lubricant of some kind

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Hmmmm, manufacturers instructions say to grease urethane bushes with the grease they provide. Normally the grease is in places where it's not exposed so ingress of contaminants should be minimal at best. Just wipe off any excess after it's been driven for a couple of days.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
By failing to follow instructions provided by the manufacturer of a product, voids any warranty the manufacturer provides with their parts....

So if you fail to use the grease they provided in the packaging, and in the spots they indicate to use it, your warranty is out the door the minute you use the car.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
I thought the grease that came with superpro bushes felt a lot more like a vaseline of some form giggity.