Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Non genuine power windows control

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
About 2 years ago I replaced the power window control with one of those $30.00 non genuine ebay units as in the picture and already it needs replacing because when we operate the drivers and passengers front windows we have to hold the button up half way up to get the window to go up or down.

I see on ebay a new genuine Holden unit for $97.00 and I'm wondering would the non genuine units would be built to the same specs as the Holden units or maybe to a lower standard.
I'm tempted to buy the Holden unit because I'm thinking of the quality but if the non genuine units are the same then why bother.

Just wondering if anyone elses non genuine unit has failed after a couple of years and are the non genuine units as good as the Holden ones.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
All I can say is that my original switch block lasted 13 years and I just replaced a few months ago with a cheapie. I'll see how goes. I was quoted $130 from Holden, I paid around $40 I think.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
I replaced my VY switch with a ebay cheapie. Works fine. The finish on the other hand, the black has flaked off in areas. But hey it works.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Yep, the finish has come off the drivers knob to. I'm going to give the Holden one a go.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Replaced mine with non genuine, has green LEDs that light up.

2 years on, no issues.

Cost about $30

Even if lasts a couple years, and i have to buy another, still worth it

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I replaced with genuine from eBay Holden dealer - no aftermarket junk for me!

I wasn't prepared to compromise to save a few bucks.

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
Replaced mine with non genuine ~ Even if lasts a couple years, and i have to buy another, still worth it

That's all well 'n good until you get where you're going one day, then park the car only to find you can't roll the windows up because the el-cheapo switch has shat itself (yes, this happened to me)!

If you're gonna take the risk I suggest you buy another one now and keep it in the car?

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
The aftermarket switches are definitely inferior quality, it may last a couple years, or couple weeks. Buy genuine if you can afford it.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
That's all well 'n good until you get where you're going one day, then park the car only to find you can't roll the windows up because the el-cheapo switch has shat itself (yes, this happened to me)!

If you're gonna take the risk I suggest you buy another one now and keep it in the car?

Love ya point, but thats what happened to the genuine