Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Northern Territory Speed Derestriction Under Serious Threat!

Keepleft

Mot Adv-NSW
Reaction score
I'm inserting this post around motoring forums to alert interested road users, particularly those in the NT.

Whilst I personally support the introduction of a rural default speed restriction for NT, it must be made 'quite clear' to MP's, that the adopted rural default NOT be applied on roads to which a speed derestriction sign is posted.

This means NT can then have BOTH a 'rural default speed restriction' AND 'speed derestriction allowance' as it applies right now, but only to a specific length of road, that is, where it is posted.

The speed derestriction sign (//) is an international road traffic sign, it's meaning in the UN Convention on Road Traffic, Road Signs and Signals "END OF ALL LOCAL PROHIBITIONS IMPOSED ON MOVING VEHICLES", hardly 'default speed limit', or 'speed limit 90, 100, 110km/h'.

SHOULD NT residents wish to retain the speed derestriction allowance, I SERIOUSLY advise you to CONTACT your local MP, see links below:

Let them know if you support a rural default or not, BUT ALSO - let them know to KEEP the speed derestriction sign, should a rural default arrive, so it can then be used on NT''s safest lengths of road.

MAKE THE EFFORT, or lose forever your right to drive 'safely' - unhindered, at speeds above 100km/h.

THE THREAT:
http://www.abc.net.au/stateline/nt/content/2006/s1736723.htm

NT COUNTRY LIBERAL PARTY:
http://notes.nt.gov.au/lant/members...022107f?OpenView&Start=1&Count=300&Expand=1#1

NT TERRITORY LABOUR
http://notes.nt.gov.au/lant/members...022107f?OpenView&Start=1&Count=300&Expand=3#3

NT INDEPENDENT:
http://notes.nt.gov.au/lant/members...022107f?OpenView&Start=1&Count=300&Expand=2#2

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
can people in other states do anything about this? personally i would hate to see the no speed limit go, i hope to go out there one day do a trip from adelaide to darwin...also wouldn't mind going a bit quick every now and then;)

Keepleft

Mot Adv-NSW
Reaction score
heeno said:
can people in other states do anything about this? personally i would hate to see the no speed limit go, i hope to go out there one day do a trip from adelaide to darwin...also wouldn't mind going a bit quick every now and then;)

No reason why not. NT is part of Australia and attracts over 10 million tourist movements per year.

Bringing-in a speed restriction, be that 90km/h or 100km/h on the remote sections of Stuart highway is just ludicrous. On the other hand doing so on most of their crappy roads is more understandable.

Keep the letter or fax simple and straight to the point. Be polite, and let them, or the Minister - know you find the allowance refreshing et al, and that you'd respect road safety any case when visiting.

UNLESS people stand up to the government agencies and the Commonwealth, Scruby et al, they *will* soon 'force' the NT MP's to capitulate. Very close now.

Keepleft

Mot Adv-NSW
Reaction score

328FTW

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
People are dumb, if you kill yourself all alone in the middle of a highway then who really cares? You should not need to be TOLD "don't do 180 in your coon towing an old trailer with half seized axles" but people do, and I have no sympathy. The police often dick the numbers to.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
who gives a **** what the speed limit is in the middle of nowhere NT, it's not like you're ever going to get caught.