Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Northern Territory - TRIAL TO BEGIN ON REVISED SPEED LIMITS

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
link to the N.T. Government's press release -
Northern Territory Government - TRIAL TO BEGIN ON REVISED SPEED LIMITS

main points -
The Northern Territory Government has delivered on its election promise to undertake an evidence based investigation into speed limits.
A 200 kilometre stretch of the Stuart Highway between Barrow Creek and Alice Springs will undergo a one year trial on revised speed limits from February 1, 2014.
Learner and provisional drivers and heavy vehicles will continue to be speed limited as they are now.
... government would also be implementing a new policy for setting speed limits near road houses on major highways.

For information -
the Stuart Highway between Barrow Creek and Alice Springs is undivided; general good surface; a few hills; not many bends.
Cattle are often seen near the road, which is unfenced.
Plenty of big 'roos, but they're not as suicidal as the ones in Queensland.
Traffic - not much, but there is a high proportion of road trains (upto 57 metres long) and tourists with caravans.

Plan your holidays !

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
hopefully it goes well.

Marko_SJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 utility
so many v6 p-platers will be loving this....................................

You do realise how far most Territory people would have to drive just to go "fully sick two zero zero" right? It'll be the Alice p platers (and full licensed drivers) if there are people using it for hooning purposes, pretty much everyone sped around that area anyway last time I was there.

Use common sense and you will be fine.

Guzzoline addict

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr v6
You do realise how far most Territory people would have to drive just to go "fully sick two zero zero" right? It'll be the Alice p platers (and full licensed drivers) if there are people using it for hooning purposes, pretty much everyone sped around that area anyway last time I was there.

Use common sense and you will be fine.

Have you both read the original post ?

Marko_SJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 utility
LOL. I did say "if" didn't I? in any case it applies to licensed drivers too.

People speed in the middle of Australia anyway.

I was saying its not such a boon to the fully sics as many make it out to be.

I think Haxzaw meant that they'll hate they have been left out...

Guzzoline addict

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr v6
I feel sorry for the p platers ,from what i,ve heard about nt ,the faster you can get out of there the better.

Keepleft

Mot Adv-NSW
Reaction score
Learners and provisional drivers will remain speed limited in the trial derestriction (//) zone owing license category speed limits. Heavy vehicles will remain speed-limited by virtue of ARR 25, and limiters. Its re-introduction this time round is based on linear posting, whereas our pre 2007 speed derestriction was geographically based, meaning it'd open up at the exit of each town, so even dirt tracks had no limit!

As with 130kmh zones, when on a derestricted length of road, if you turn off onto a side road or track, the limit applying will be NT's rural default 110kmh, unless you then face another speed-limit sign, or derestriction sign.

NT government have the ability to make this new speed derestriction a daytime only allowance, meaning a night limit could be imposed, IF at some stage it so desires.

The move to speed derestriction does not allow for motor racing, but for drivers to drive at a comfortable, safe speed for all prevailing conditions. If you get tired, you still need to pull over and have break, drivers will need to approach this allowance with maturity, and NT highway patrol will be targetting drivers going too fast - not keeping in lane, not indicating, tailgating, not wearing seatbelts etc. RBT and drug testing will be undertaken per normal.

I expect signs will remind drivers to 'drive to suit conditions', as you are always expected to do of course. Keep those tyres inflated appropriately, noting the pressure ratings given on the placard in particular. Drive defensivelly. NT readers I suggest in particular should seek to buy a high-vis safety vest - you'd keep in inside the cabin, and safety warning triangle as minimuim on board equipment for roadside safety.

It was quite inappropriate for NT Labor to have killed off NT derestriction, when all they needed to do was to set a 'rural default' limit. This limit as it stands today at 110kmh - is in my view is too high, it should be in the range 80-90kmh. I also expect to see NT post 120kmh zones, and maintaining 130kmh on some parts.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Heh, keepleft.... your still around! I was just thinking about you the other day. A member on another forum reminded me of you.