Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

not a good idea fitting LPG to VS..V6

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
I thought that Series 3 VS Statesman's/Ute's and Series 1 VT 5 litres had sequential injection. Oh well, I must have thought wrong about the Statesman's and Utes.

Last edited:

veeque92

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman SeriesII 5.7
Just wandering if there is an easy way to tell if it is sequential or not.

We just purchased the car am picking it up on friday and it is a Statesmsan, series III 98 model. 5Litre

Cheers guys

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Pull back a couple of the injector wire boots and check the wire colours. If it is sequential (I think it will be) on each connector, one of the wires will be red and the other a variety of other colours to distinguish them at the PCM.

265grunt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vq stato vk calais
The main reason LPG installer's are reluctant to install on VS's is the fact of the V6's waste spark.
This is what causes 90% of backfires, as the TB closes on deceleration and WOT on low down laboring, the ECU tries to compensate, But the LPG mixer depending if it is a positive of negative feed, still flows how it was, causing excessive over fueling.
Does not matter how you set the idle mixture or sensitivity screw, it can't electronically compensate for the ECU's changes.

This is even worse in manual VS's and i will not touch one at all, Most LPG manufacturer's wont sell kit's for the manuals and void warranty if they are installed to them. Due to the fact that even with the TB closed the motor is still under extreme load, drawing in lpg. The only real way to install LPG on the VS V6 in my mind is to go gas injection.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Holden doesn't (didn't) appear to agree with you re. mixer system on VS V6 (and VP, VR, VT, VX) auto.

snappy05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Statesman V6
hey guys, I have recently had my vs statesman v6 converted and I can safely say that it has been nothing but trouble. It is a mixer carb set up and has been back to the shop about 8 times in the past few weeks for re tuning. I have done the leads and plugs then re done the plugs using a 1.3mm gap, they were originally gapped at 1.0-1.1mm and backfired like all hell. now it just does it going up a hill with the a/c on either on the freeway or on takeoff. I have been told that I should go all out and buy some topgun max300 leads because they will spark better, which they bloody well should for $130 a set. maybe the airod brand is just crap. hey feel free to tell me I have made the biggest mistake of my life. hehehe.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Sorry to hear that. Stick with it and insist that the installer sorts it out. It isn't inherent that cars will behave badly on LPG, GM couldn't and wouldn't have sold factory approved systems if that were true.

If the LPG system is properly engineered, installed and tuned, the standard ignition system. including 'plugs (w' the standard gap) and leads, works fine, although 'plug life is a little shorter.

I have never had a backfire using my (Impco, but not exactly the same as the GM) system with which I am using standard gap GM 'plugs (92141875 = R42LTS6) and nothing special with the leads; just Repco generics.

jtfactor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Personally I don't think you know what you are talking about Drifter. I have taken my car to be converted at Ezygas (commodore VT) and it's running like a dream. Ezygas do about 70 conversions a week so I'm pretty sure they know what they are doing and this is also the reason why they can advertise a cheaper price. It sounds to me like your comment is a little biase, considering your father does gas conversions too. Maybe you should do a little more homework before making a statement like that, becasue if their kits were cheap and crap like you said, how come they gave me a 3yr/100,000 km warranty and a life time warranty on the labour. Sounds to me like your trying to promote your dads business by putting **** on others.