Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Not enough Base Coats

mw1081

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Series II SV6 Sportwagon
Hi everyone,

So I decided to respray my raw SS plastic bumper at home but once it dried, it seems as though I didn't spray enough base coat on it as I can see black spots through it...

What are my options from here? It's got an orange peel finish at the moment as I've already applied 2x clear coats to it.

Will "colour sanding" with 1000 grit help blend it or am I going to have to sand it back and start again?

Only noticed once I put it back on the car.

Any help would be great :)

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
black spots?

did you undercoat it?

mw1081

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Series II SV6 Sportwagon
Yep. With clear flexi primer.

Main question is, can I spray base over the top or do I need to sand back, reprime (with plastic promoter primer or normal), base, clear.

Added a photo of what it looks like... this has approx 3 coats flex primer, 2 coats base and 2 coats clear

Attachments

• 20170515_155316.jpg
    20170515_155316.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 246

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
you painted it with 1k clear didnt you....

Bradssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv nissan navara
Yep. With clear flexi primer.

Main question is, can I spray base over the top or do I need to sand back, reprime (with plastic promoter primer or normal), base, clear.

Added a photo of what it looks like... this has approx 3 coats flex primer, 2 coats base and 2 coats clear
Was the colour metallic or soild? Usually i do 4 coats of base or use a slop paint thats similar colour to get coverage when im being tight for paint. And if you used 1k clear you will never get it flat off the gun. 1500 grit and the buff my friend