Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Not funny - warning rant

HER82

HERGTO
Reaction score
Ipswich area.. apologies for being geographically
Members Ride
Is not a Commodore... but still GM
ok I know black humour is sometimes needed when an event is tragic etc.. but some events are taboo when it comes to jokes.

September 11 and even more so the Tsunami Tragedy.. really are not jokes topics or if some one must make light of it... do it in private!

An event which thousands died and are still dying mostly children is NOT funny... I would hope that the lady I work with who sat by her phone for days hoping her sister,brother inlaw & their children survived does not hear these jokes, and I hope the friends I have who were sent over there facing the job of retreiving bodies for indentification do not hear them, and the parents who lost all their children do not hear them.

Some things are just not funny... and hoping I do not log on to JC & see the jokes like on some other forums about the Tsunami.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Her82, whilst I understand where you are coming from, remember that humour is some peoples way of coping with a tragic event. Not everyone wears their heart on their sleeve. I am sure those inventing these jokes are compasionate deep inside, but use humour as a relief valve - we are all differant and cope differantly in situations. The human race consists of many differant traits which is good, if we were all the same, imagine how boring the world would be :)

I hope the lady you work with finds her family alive and well. I am sure the jokes are not directed at anyone personally. What I found abhorrent the other night on irc was a chatter saying he wished all the Indonesians were wiped out as they are a bad race.

What has happened is an enormous tradegy, many have lost loved ones and many more don't know if loved ones are still alive. I think it has touched everyone world wide in one way or another. It would be nice to think the world would sit up now and stop all the wars and crap, and together as an entire race, rebuild those cities and learn from this that we are all one. The reality is that won't happen.

Found out yesterday that two friends of mine are missing in Indonesia. I only hope they are stranded somewhere and will make contact with someone at home soon.

Last edited:

Torana

Young Einstein
Reaction score
Website
holdenworld.tt.cx
Members Ride
KE Laser Ghia 1.6 Carbie M5
I will have to agree with HER82. I mean, why do people joke about this bullshit??? Like, wtf is wrong with their heads? If someone ever told a joke about this to my face, I'd turn around and give 'em such a belting!

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Torana said:
I will have to agree with HER82. I mean, why do people joke about this bullshit??? Like, wtf is wrong with their heads? If someone ever told a joke about this to my face, I'd turn around and give 'em such a belting!

See I wonder what is wrong with your head, having to resort to violence to solve a problem. You could choose the alternative, tell them politey you find it offensive and walk away.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
See now I am the oposite there is nothing I can't stand more then ppl who take them selves so seriously. Nothing is ment by it, thats why it is a 'joke'......

Ill just get my :flame: ready shall I.......
AirStrike :air:

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Agreeing with Airstrike.. I can understand the losses people have gone through. And how its going to take alot of time to recover.

But people grieve and deal with things in different ways. You can't tell me you've never made a joke about something tragic. If you have on the other hand then damn you'd be a fun person to be around..

I've got a sick sense of humour, I make jokes about things, but at all times I have a huge amount of respect and understanding about whats gone on. And I'd never in any way deliberately do it to take advantage of them.

You people don't like the ones that make light of a situation. We dont like people that are always so tight assed and have no sense of humour.

However Her82... Having said that, I'll not say anything on these boards. And best wishes and condolenses go out to your workmate.

beckrey

Banned
Reaction score
I think it is disgusting if people make jokes about this sort of thing.People should think of others feelings & think how they would feel if someone they know had died in some sort of tragedy & all of a sudden people are making these jokes.Eventually the families involved are going to come across these jokes.

i would certainly hope that none start showing up on here.

maybe the moderators could consider banning anyone that puts any **** up here.

like what was threatened about a cat because this is far far worse than what happened to the cat

DJ Majah

Electro doof doof styleé
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII cruiser
beckrey said:
like what was threatened about a cat because this is far far worse than what happened to the cat
Depends. If youre talking about the loss of life, yes. If youre talking about the incident itself, no - this is a natural thing, natural causes, natural affects. The cat was tortured, much worse.

Generally though, its nothing offensive.

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
I am in total agreement with DJ Majah here. As tragic as they were the tsunamis were a natural disaster. If people want to joke about it let them, just don't laugh along with them. What needs to be realised is that nothing is sacred when it comes to jokes. It doesn't mean I find them funny or appropriate. But who died and made anyone here joke nazis saying what should not be allowed. Just add these to the millions of insensitive, poor taste, inappropriate jokes around the world eg. sept 11, racist, cot death, war, rape, child molestation- read michael jackson jokes........ the list goes on and on. Seems most jokes would be offensive to some people.

Well what happened to the cat can not be compared to the tsunamis, its like chalk and cheese, a callous act of torture by evil inhuman 'humans' or a freak tragic natural disaster. There is no parallel. Also I might add the story of the cat was not in the joke section. Also suprisingly I am yet to see one tsunami joke, and I have asked many others and they haven't heard any either, so I don't think its a huge problem.