Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

not happy

Tom.T

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 2 commodore
I own a 2000 WH Grange, had for 17 years had no problems with it, until the engine started to leak oil, I all so had a problem with my gearbox going from 1st to 2nd and it slammed into gear, making the rear wheels spin a bit, took it to Blacktown Holden, and they said my front and rear oil seals are gone and my sump gasket was all so leaking and they also said that the rear cv joints are gone as well.. so i said to them please repair the engine and while you got it can you fix the the gearbox harsh engagement into second, as well the rear diff.. they had my car for about 3 and a bit weeks. they rang me and said me car is ready for pick it cost me for every thing $9,000 went to drive out the drive way quickly and my diff started to bounce, took it back to Holden and when i was putting it into park there was a very loud clunking noise and the gearbox jumped, and they said it was fine i ended up taking it back 5 times and they still say it is fine ???I contacted Holden's compliant office and they did nothing.. so now i have contacted Fair trading still waiting been 3 weeks now ?. So what to do ?

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
How much real mechanical work do you think the dealers blokes really do? Most of them only service new cars. They arent the blokes to be fixing old stuff as you have found out. Take it to another mechanic If they find something is put back together wrong send them the bill.

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
Nine thousand feckin' dollars... holy crap! What did they do, replace the entire engine?

If it was an insurance company paying they would've likely written-off the vehicle for a $9000 repair bill.

I'm just guessing here but the transmission problem sounds like a band adjustment issue? In the good old (Trimatic) days, band adjustment was part of a routine service but with these modern lifetime-nil-service things I don't know.

I'm also wondering if the CV issue was contributed-to by the harsh gear change? Probably not a good idea to continue 'chirping it' into second until that's sorted out too.

Tom.T

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 2 commodore
Nine thousand feckin' dollars... holy crap! What did they do, replace the entire engine?

If it was an insurance company paying they would've likely written-off the vehicle for a $9000 repair bill.

I'm just guessing here but the transmission problem sounds like a band adjustment issue? In the good old (Trimatic) days, band adjustment was part of a routine service but with these modern lifetime-nil-service things I don't know.

I'm also wondering if the CV issue was contributed-to by the harsh gear change? Probably not a good idea to continue 'chirping it' into second until that's sorted out too.
that 9k was everything engine gearbox and cv joints, all ways had the harsh jump into 2nd gear but now more problems

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
that 9k was everything engine gearbox and cv joints, all ways had the harsh jump into 2nd gear but now more problems
Hate to say it Tom but they saw you coming like a lamb to the slaughter. 9k? The Dealer Principal must be making money hand over fist at those prices.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Hope you didn't have to supply the lube at those prices because you got bent well and truely

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.