Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Not your standard exhaust question

spice_man2069

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
Hi I have an 89vn exec, at the moment the engine is stock and as everyone says there is big plans for it in the future. I have looked through pretty much all the treads on exhausts and cannot seem to find what I am looking for.

Obviously I am looking at getting an exhaust and seeing as mine is buggered I was going to get the entire thing renewed

Pacemaker extractors
Lukey hi flow cat
and 2.5' cat back Lukey exhaust with straight through mufflers.

or something close to that (i.e. might put a hotdog on it or something instead etc)

as I have been reading posts from here and other sites I have been now thinking of a twin cat system being

pacemaker extractors
duel Lukey hi flow cat
and 2.5' Lukey exhaust with straight through mufflers.

some people say that this is a really good setup others say you loose too much bottom end power I am just looking for people who have maybe done this or have educated opinions about it.

I think this information would not only help me but others who have a love for vn's and want 2 do them up properly and not with crappy parts etc

Thanks for all the info James

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
It's all been said before but in note form..........

2.5" and upwards= Overkill unless your planning forced induction, not to mention drone and the unsavoury v6 note. You'll get a better sound and low end performance from 2.25"

Twin cat system= Be prepared to pay upwards of $1000 including extractors, rather pointless unless you plan on going further i.e- Cam, Remapping. Again I'd go with 2.25" on this system, then depending on engine work maybe 2.5" from the merge.

Keep in mind that placement of both cats, and the point at which the twin pipes merge are major factors in the sound and performance of this system. In other words, you'll need an exhaust fitter who has fabricated a 'tuned' system before.

People will say the usual "Mine sounds great and goes well with 2.5", but that's life, 2.25" comes recommended by one of Australias better V6 tuners. If you want a little more look at me noise, use something like a Lukey 'race' muffler and no resonator. It'll be alot crisper than any 2.5" system, and most of all it won't have that customary V6 note. Provided it doesn't have the slack timing chain rattle, it'll sound like a respectable 6 :p

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Well my system is as follows:

VN V6
Full Tuned Genie Extractors
Hi-Flow Cat
2.5" straight through
One SDR (Or is it STR) muffler.

I have had a lot of comments on how it good it sounds.
My performance goes alright too.
I was going to get the twin system, which I had the money to do but, they said they had to start moving fuel lines and that, and that for some reason made me back off the idea. I didn't want to start modifying the fuel lines.

Cheers,
Jim :cool:

spice_man2069

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
Yeh sorry OSL-060 i meant 2.25, and I am not really concerned about the sound I mean anything will sound better than stock i was more concerned with the performance side of things.

I also want to keep it under the max noise level as i dont need any trouble from the EPA.

I know the best bet is to go down and talk to an exhaust shop but i did want to go with a little bit of knoledge, so any other information will also help