Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Novice install of audio/amp to VX

SSV8pilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV- Manual Redhot
Thought I would share some tips on having just upgraded the audio system on my VX S Pac.

Previous installs have been basic radio changes. This time I bit the bullet and upgraded the front splits, put in 6X9's, new Hu, Sub and Blaupunkt 5 channel amp.

I'm no expert - hence thought I would provide some encouragement to others planning the same thing.

1- Plan the theory first - use this site to ask questions (thanks for those who helped), get wiring diagrams, do a dummy drawing of the system lay out your self

2- Plan each job as a seperate task - eg front driver door - remove all trim, remove and replace new equipment, refit - job done

3- Never force trim - keep all screws close to each section you are working on

4- Learn from each job - ie once I did the drivers door speakers - I got better when I did the passenger door as I had a reference point

5- Remove tools to a central point when you have finished with the tool - saves losing or hunting around

6- Have a small bin nearby to put bits of rubbish in

7- I had some foam mats on the floor to kneel on -really helped when working half in and half out the car

8- Wire hanger method to remove Eurovox unit really does work

9- Pace yourself and tackle each job logically and with confidence - I did mine over a weekend

10- You can get harness plugs from places like supercheap which plug into the existing radio harness - about $20 - really good because I soldered the new radio leads to the harness plug out of the car (in the evening) - plugged in and all worked - plus very neat

11- When wiring speaker or amp power cable from front to rear (seperate sides of car) - no need to lift out the step plates -push each seat forward - remove the plastic trim which sits between the outer seat runner and step plate (slides out easy). This gives enough room to move cables through. I was dreading this part of the wiring - but worked fine

12- Remove rear seat squab and back - don't try and fiddle around these - easily removed.

13- I secured the amp to a piece of chipboard then screwed under parcel shelf - avoids any earthing and easier to screw amp to wood than metal - personal choice

As I said - I am an amature but managed to do what I consider a professional job. I did get quotes to do the installs -my advice if getting it done - go to a professional audio installer. As an example - I went to a well know auto chain, asked lots of questions, then asked "what are your credentials"- he said you don't need to worry about that!! Then said - when you book it in - tell them your fussy!!! Fussy - I just wanted a good job done - hence why I flew solo.

Anyway - hope this is of use to some.

daz08

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY11 V6 Calais SII
I secured the amp to a piece of chipboard then screwed under parcel shelf
did u fit the amp upside down facing the ground? or on the back of the seat facing the boot?

SSV8pilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV- Manual Redhot
Amp location

Amp installed undershelf (effectively facing downwards) - non intrusive to boot storage, visible (to avoid knocking) and able to get sufficient ventilation.

Muttley

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
Thanks for that pilot. I am about to embark on stage 1 of my upgrade to my VT - replace head unit and put in 6x9's in the shelf. Amp and front splits to come later. Some good tips there.

cheers

SSV8pilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV- Manual Redhot
Amp update

I will be making one change -I have a 5 channel amp and have connected the front splits to the HU. I realise now that I can / should connect these direct to the AMP (rather than use the inbuilt Amp in the Alpine HU).

A simple change requiring running some speaker wire from front speakers to the AMP in the rear and disconecting the speaker feed to the HU.

Depending on you AMP - you may want to consider the same.

dunno vx

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive s1
i didnt think it was advisable for amps to be mounted upside down
i was goin to do the same thing but was warned against it for reasons i dont know

SSV8pilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV- Manual Redhot
Amp

The gear I installed was all professionally installed previously on my VY SS 3 years ago. Never had any issues.

The items where professional removed from the SS.

I have since reinstalled into my VX S Pak (SS - reached end of lease now waiting to purchase VE next year - incase anyone is confused).

The original install was in the same spot I have placed it on the VX - the only difference is I have mounted on a piece of chipboard then onto the shelf.

The original installers where professionals (competition level). Others may have a view - but if good enough for them - then makes sense for me to follow their lead.

At this location it does not intrude on storage space, interfere with removal of carpet, is visible to avoid knocking and has reasonable ventilation.

R

rattattack1313

dunno vx said:
i didnt think it was advisable for amps to be mounted upside down
i was goin to do the same thing but was warned against it for reasons i dont know
can't hurt it being upside down mate...... it's alll good..any angle is fine...as long as it is secure...