Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Now my car is running like a barge

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Yep, I am a victim. My car for the past few days has been running like a complete barge. There is heaps of flat spots and has stalled once. It's undriveable at the moment.

I just chucked 30 litres of Vortex in at the servo. It had about 10 litres in it, so it probably has around 40 odd litres in the tank.

When I drive, there is heaps of flat spots like major cylinder miss. The spark plug and leads are fine. Doesn't need to be timed as it's fine. I am not sure whether it's a vacuum leak or my carb pump is stuffed or what. It does the same thing on gas. Maybe it's got a leak.

Any suggestions?

atrail308

RIP King of the Mountain
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 VH SL/E 308
does it idle alright?

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
When in park, it idles good. Pressing the pedal and revving it when in park sounds beautiful. As soon as I put it in drive and drive off with load on the motor, it runs terrible.

I am beginning to think it isn't a vacuum leak because it would show up when in park and probably a lot worse.

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
It has to be an ignition issue if it does it on both fuels. If it was a vac leak it shouldnt idle properly.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
The gas is unfortuneately a seperate issue. The gas played up and crapped it 2 weeks ago. The problem was the converter likely being glogged.
Then the car was put on petrol and has been running nice for 2 weeks until today the above crap has happened, so the two are seperate problems. I can fix the converter, but the petrol problem has got me stumped.

atrail308

RIP King of the Mountain
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 VH SL/E 308
if its vac, it would work on petrol and gas, so that wont narrow it down from a fuel issue or igntion issue, but to me it sounds like you'r carby is playing up, if you quickly stab it in park, will it hesitate???
have a quick look through this rochy diagnostic i found when i was having trouble with mine, it might help you out a bit...

http://www.florida4x4.com/tech/quadrajet/qjtshoot.pdf

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
When chucked in park, it is ok. The barge is fine when not moving. I have booked into the mechanic in the morning. Hopefully it's a simple crap problem that can be fixed without major time involved. If I had 250 bucks, I'd go and get a reco one. But I'm broke.

Thanks for that carb link. It is very good, but as it says, there could be a million things wrong with my carb whether it be a bad float or needles or anything.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
I am having a gut feeling now.

For some reason I am thinking it's an ignition problem more than a carb problem. When I took the filter housing off, I pumped the throttle lever and saw that the fuel was spraying out of the jets fine.

It brings back about the supposed ignition module problem I thought I might have had. Basically 2 weeks ago I put it on petrol after I thought my gas converter was dirty. Now the same thing has happened but this time petrol. I am wondering whether it might be spark related because when I saw the jets spraying out fuel well, it seems to be more ignition likely.

Hopefully the mechs can find the problem and I can get a replacement part and fix it. It could be a distributor/module problem or the coil packing up. At the moment it sucks because I have got very little spare parts sitting around as I have only had my car for 11 months. A spare dissy would be handy and a coil. Time will tell I guess.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Got my car back. They think the carb is being starved of fuel. I will need to get my cousin to pull the carb off and have a look. The fuel part of the carb where it manages it must be at fault. I have a couple of spare carbs for parts. Just need to get another gas converter so I can at least run it on gas which is coming in a couple of days.