Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

NT Open Speed Limit

MOTIV8

Cybernaut
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mountain Bike
I wonder how vs brakes pull up from 190kph?
Talk about pushing your car to the limits, if something went wrong, you'd be soup.
Autobahn with fast lanes great. NT roads with just 1 or 2 lanes with slow old un roadworthy vehicles, dicing with mr death.

My VS Clubsport is stock as a rock, (still has the factory fitted cassette player head unit), after it came off the Holden factory production line in Elizabeth South Australia and HSV Oakleigh Victoria took delivery of it and waved their magic wand over it back in 1995. My car pulls up just fine with the stock ABS brakes, is very stable and feels comfortable at 220kph which is the top speed I have taken it to on one of the many very smooth and straight stretches of highway in the Northern Territory and the vehicle still had more to give. I have never felt the desire to go faster just because it has 250kph on the speedo.

Yes I agree if something catastrophic went wrong at the wrong moment in the wrong circumstances then I would be soup.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Interested to see the VS got to 220 and feels stable. Long ago I had my stock 6cyl. VS wagon to 170 and I could feel it get light in the front end at that speed. I guys different aerodynamics.

DavoVP

Reaction score
Interested to see the VS got to 220 and feels stable. Long ago I had my stock 6cyl. VS wagon to 170 and I could feel it get light in the front end at that speed. I guys different aerodynamics.

I can confirm the VS clubbly feels very stable at 220, even 240 ( no more to give ), Very odd car for an older model, Feels like crap at 100 110 push past 150 and it all feels like its meant to be there.

Aerodynamics kick in and the car feels firm and planted on the road. The wing on the back has to work at some point right ? Its 150 - 160 for the VS clubbys.

MOTIV8

Cybernaut
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mountain Bike

VS Clubby about to traverse the Great Ocean Road Victoria. This drive saw the Clubby depart Melbourne at dawn and hit the tar of the Great Ocean Road. What a great drive and great memories. Most of it with the windows down and breathing in that ocean air while listening to the exhaust note of the injected V8.

VS Clubby north of Port Augusta SA. This was taken just as the sun was setting maybe 100 kilometres north of Port Augusta SA. The night drive from Port Augusta SA to Alice Springs NT was around 1,200 odd Kilometres in distance and without any animal strikes or other incident. Of course speed was kept to under 100 kph.

VS Clubby north of Port Augusta SA. This was taken just as the sun was setting maybe 100 kilometres north of Port Augusta SA. The night drive from Port Augusta SA to Alice Springs NT was around 1,200 odd Kilometres in distance and without any animal strikes or other incident. Of course speed was kept to under 100 kph.

VS Clubby visiting Uluru NT. A day trip to Uluru and Kata Tjuta. I highly recommend the Valley of the Winds walk at Kata Tjuta.

VS Clubby west of Alice Springs NT.

VS Clubsport West of Alice Springs NT.

VS Clubsport at Honeymoon Gap, Alice Springs NT.

kingyinperth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2012 Heron SS Thunder Ute M6
That's a nice set of photos there motiv,glad it was incident free too!

The VS still looks in good nick too.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Any car can look clean, doesn't mean its safe.. throw up some pics of the front and rear bushes/suspension underneath

MOTIV8

Cybernaut
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mountain Bike
Any car can look clean, doesn't mean its safe.. throw up some pics of the front and rear bushes/suspension underneath
ok ephect, just have to wait until I get the results back from the MOBIL, SHELL, CALTEX, VALVOLINE & SUPER CHEAP AUTO engine lubricant laboratories ...... also waiting on lab results for the bushes, struts ........ if the window washer liquid is up to your spec standards ......... if the power steering fluid; fluidity, meets your stringent standards ......... if my audio play list is ok by you .................!

Just let me know buddy if I've missed any of your benchmarks!

In other news,

NT government keen to expand no speed limit trial on major highways

By Simon Frazer

The Northern Territory Government plans to expand its trial of removing speed limits on major highways.

Two months ago it removed the speed limit on a 200-kilometre stretch of the Stuart Highway between Alice Springs and the Barrow Creek area, as part of a 12-month trial.

Northern Territory transport minister Peter Styles now wants to go further.

"We're looking at various sections of road, both on the Stuart Highway and on the Barkley Highway that may be available to open up as part of the trial," he said.

"I believe it's been a success so far. Anecdotal evidence that I've received is that people are behaving themselves.

"We've always said and [told] people that it's their responsibility to drive to the conditions of the road, the condition of their vehicle, to their own capabilities.

"Generally, most people have. The police have indicated that everyone seems to be doing the right thing out there.

"The truckies that we've spoken to and the trucking people have said that they're very pleased."

YouTube videos suggest some drivers have reached speeds of 250 kilometres per hour.

The policy of no speed limits on major highways was an election promise. If it is officially adopted it will reverse the abolition of speed limit-free roads in 2007.

Road safety experts condemned the trial when it began and its success so far has not convinced them.

Ian Faulks, a researcher with the Centre for Accident Research and Road Safety at the Queensland University of Technology, says Territory roads are not suitable for very high speeds.

"It's not the kind of road that's like an autobahn where you would want to go really fast," he said.

"I think it has been something very positive in terms of the Australian driving population in that they haven't been silly and haven't gone for very high speeds."

Mr Faulks believes the lack of disastrous events proves that drivers are more sensible than the NT Government.

He says expanding the 12 month trial so soon after it has started makes little sense.

"Any decision to actually introduce further stretches of Northern Territory highway to a no-speed-limit policy are really based on anecdotal information," he said.

"That's not good enough; we really should be trying as much as possible to base it on really good data and really good evidence. The trial is based on the reports of four consultants.

The ABC's attempt to obtain the reports, through a Freedom of Information request, was rebuffed by the NT Government on the basis that releasing the reports would breach Cabinet confidentiality.

Five invoices totalling nearly $140,000 up to May last year were provided but these give no clues about the work involved.

Mr Styles says the advice is essential as the Government decides whether the trial becomes permanent.

"That won't happen until the final audits and assessments are done," he said.

"From those audits and assessments that have been done across the national highway network in the Territory, there will be a report pulled together from all of that information and that'll go to government for its consideration to decide, will we have open speed limits again?

"Will we not? Will it be restricted to a certain part of the highway? We're a long way from that decision."

NT government keen to expand no speed limit trial on major highways - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

MOTIV8

Cybernaut
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mountain Bike
I haven't been on the highway north of Alice Springs since my last excursion.

Believe it or not despite certain select justcommodores doomsdayers, (and we all know who they are), predictions of death and mayhem there have been no deaths or mayhem or even speeding fines issued!

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
Its good to see that some in government are putting some responsibility back on the driver.
"We've always said and [told] people that it's their responsibility to drive to the conditions of the road, the condition of their vehicle, to their own capabilities.

"Generally, most people have. The police have indicated that everyone seems to be doing the right thing out there.

Also good to see that they also know that going faster than 110Kph does not result in instant accidents.
So keen to get up there in winter and have a blast along some unrestricted sections of road!!!