Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

NULON additives do work well

aussieghostrider

Reaction score
I have been using nulon products on my car for aslong as I can remember & they are worth a go if your having problems like I have with my VN.

My car has been running bit rough and hard to start when engines hot so I thought it be the spark plugs & leads but I got ngk iridiums and good set of leads on car and I replaced couple years ago anyhow I gave the throttle body a good clean with that nulon throttle body cleaner , cleaning the IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE (IAC) and the butterfly using an old rag which helped a little so I bought bottle of the Nulon total fuel system cleaner which was $22 at repco and put whole bottle in at petrol station then put $50 of petrol to mix it up.I had my injectors removed and properly cleaned 6 months ago and needed 2 replaced cost me $300 all up and car drove ok for a bit.Im thinking my vavles were sticking or had too much carbon deposots on them so was causing the hard to start when hot issue, this additive says it cleans everything in the engine & I guess it did :)

Cars running great and starts first go even when hot also my fuel economy has gone up 100km's from same style driving in same area so Im happy with the result.

Also my power steering rack leaks a drop here and there so put some power steering stop leak and it worked as well.

people think oil/fuel additives are bad but if you only use nulon products you will change your opinion of that.

btw I dont work for them lol Im just a happy customer of their products.

Ive never used any other products other than nulon as they also give you money back guarantee.

If you have used their products please add to this thread and tell me how it went for you...

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Personally I am not a big believer in additives. All oils and fluids already have additives in there, and putting more in won't make it any better, and in some cases can make it worse. Some people have good results from them, some don't. I'm not saying don't use them, but IMO they won't make much of a difference.

When it comes to stop leak products, these do work, but only in the short term. They will only mask the problem, not fix it. As a temporary measure until the leak can be fixed, they are a good thing, but don't expect them to be a permanent repair. Other additives that are supposed to quieten, reduce smoke and the like, they are the same, temporary repairs. Additives can't rebuild worn metal, seals and gaskets.

This is what I believe, but if you are comfortable using additives, do it.

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
Im not a big fan of additives, I just use oil as it comes out of the bottle because it already contains additives.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i definitly think it'sworth running injector cleaner through your fuel every couple of months, especially if you use 91ron fuel. in the more expensive 98ron fuels the petrol companies already put some of these additives in themselves. hence the reason they advertise they fuels as engine cleaning.

i do beleive that companies like nulon actually formulate there additives to complement those put in by the oil companies but one can never be certain about every product. stick to those that have proven track records and haven't been sued by consumer watchdog groups like some have been.

good to hear your ride is running well:thumbsup:

andyli

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executives
I have been using nulon products on my car for aslong as I can remember & they are worth a go if your having problems like I have with my VN.

My car has been running bit rough and hard to start when engines hot so I thought it be the spark plugs & leads but I got ngk iridiums and good set of leads on car and I replaced couple years ago anyhow I gave the throttle body a good clean with that nulon throttle body cleaner , cleaning the IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE (IAC) and the butterfly using an old rag which helped a little so I bought bottle of the Nulon total fuel system cleaner which was $22 at repco and put whole bottle in at petrol station then put $50 of petrol to mix it up.I had my injectors removed and properly cleaned 6 months ago and needed 2 replaced cost me $300 all up and car drove ok for a bit.Im thinking my vavles were sticking or had too much carbon deposots on them so was causing the hard to start when hot issue, this additive says it cleans everything in the engine & I guess it did :)

Cars running great and starts first go even when hot also my fuel economy has gone up 100km's from same style driving in same area so Im happy with the result.

Also my power steering rack leaks a drop here and there so put some power steering stop leak and it worked as well.

people think oil/fuel additives are bad but if you only use nulon products you will change your opinion of that.

btw I dont work for them lol Im just a happy customer of their products.

Ive never used any other products other than nulon as they also give you money back guarantee.

If you have used their products please add to this thread and tell me how it went for you...

hi, I got the cleaner too, but do not know where is the throttle body and IAC. any advice? Thanks.:wax:

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
Cleaning the Throttle Body,Replacing Spark Plugs,Leads,Filters,lubricants are just all part of maintanence of a car.

Had my Throttle Body Cleaned & IAC, Base Timing Set,New leads,plugs,diff oil,trans,engine,new coolant the lot all flushed with cleaners, Car felt a million buks when I 1st brought my 5Litre.

I do recommend Injector Cleaner For sure,too say the rest think its all a big sales woo ha.

andyli

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executives
Personally I am not a big believer in additives. All oils and fluids already have additives in there, and putting more in won't make it any better, and in some cases can make it worse. Some people have good results from them, some don't. I'm not saying don't use them, but IMO they won't make much of a difference.

When it comes to stop leak products, these do work, but only in the short term. They will only mask the problem, not fix it. As a temporary measure until the leak can be fixed, they are a good thing, but don't expect them to be a permanent repair. Other additives that are supposed to quieten, reduce smoke and the like, they are the same, temporary repairs. Additives can't rebuild worn metal, seals and gaskets.

This is what I believe, but if you are comfortable using additives, do it.

I agree, this is very objective. the stop leak work for my coolant leak but not for the power steering leak.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
i definitly think it'sworth running injector cleaner through your fuel every couple of months, especially if you use 91ron fuel. in the more expensive 98ron fuels the petrol companies already put some of these additives in themselves. hence the reason they advertise they fuels as engine cleaning.

i do beleive that companies like nulon actually formulate there additives to complement those put in by the oil companies but one can never be certain about every product. stick to those that have proven track records and haven't been sued by consumer watchdog groups like some have been.

good to hear your ride is running well:thumbsup:

Cleaning agents are a different thing again. Injector cleaner, engine flush, coolant flush, things like that are OK as they aren't in the engine running constantly.

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
Cleaning agents are a different thing again. Injector cleaner, engine flush, coolant flush, things like that are OK as they aren't in the engine running constantly.

Yes cleaning agents are an entirely different thing, and I have successfully used all of the above products. To elaborate on my above post I have used Nulon Oil Additives before but I have never really noticed a difference so I just use oil as it comes from the bottle now.

Last edited: