Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[NZ] Statistical evidence to support speed camera tickets are revenue gathering

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
^^^^ I've done that.

Got out of the ticket too when I was flashed by it :D

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
well to add to the speed stuff. in the herald sun this week they were going on about those Gantry structures over the roads with speed indicators on them and how they are very often, wildly inaccurate, a lot of the time in the direction of showing much slower then the speed you were actually at.
it also stated that apparently they are calibrated to the same as speed cameras (highly doubt it) and that they were almost being used as a bit of a bait.
although it wasn't something to reply on, it was almost blackmailing people into wanting to speed seeing not many people know the accuracy of their speedos (although its ment to read in the safe direction)

its just so easy to set up a camera and have it go flash for some small amount over, rather then get out and remove the distracted drivers, dangerous drivers, and drivers who should not have a licence.

I also cannot remember exactly where, but some I did read they manage to somehow link speed to a death or accident in a majority of cases even though quite clearly it wasn't the leading cause.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Speed is a factor in every accident. If you were to have said accident but wipe off 10-15km/h it would be less severe assuming it was survivable to begin with. Having said that, if you have an head on accident on the open road you're looking at a closure rate of ~200km/h. 5-10km/h either way won't make much difference except for how far the debris is spread.

Speed and alcohol are the main revenue gathering avenues and therefore the main causes of most accidents.

I watched a police crash show which involved the death of a person in a roll-over accident of a 4x4 type vehicle. It was found during the subsequent investigation that the front anti-roll bar was broken on one side on the vehicle although the senior investigating officer completely discounted it in any way in the cause of the accident. Rather they blamed the driver and the environment (road surface was under repair and was uneven and lack of signage). Driver didn't see the change in road surface due to road works, lost traction, swerved and over-corrected. In itself this should not cause a roll-over. maybe a loss of control and skid. IMHO the broken roll bar made the swerve and subsequent over correction much more severe and excessive body roll would definitely have contributed to the accident. There were numerous accidents like this in the US involving the Ford Explorer. The issue was traced back to the OEM tyres fitted to these vehicles but the over-correction (with loss of traction/swerving) and excessive body roll of the high centre of gravity of these types of vehicles were directly related to the vehicles flipping on their sides.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
on that same token you could say "well if the person was travelling at 95 instead of 100 they would not have been at the point in time"

target it where its where speed has caused accidents. target whatever it is that causes accidents and go after the perpetrators.
but simply saying that 1km over the limit is the be all and end of for so many crashes is absolutely false, and unfortunately its been forced fed to people that it is gospel.

don't worry, I do agree the limits the limit, and your silly for breaking the law.
as I believe jester normally says "its a voluntary tax for the stupid" and he is quite right. you have a choice to not get the ticket.

all im saying is, they should get out there and get those off the roads that shouldn't be there.
we went through this recently with a family member. firstly we have no idea how they got their licence, and then not only they are terrible at driving while also being extremely distracted (caught them on the phone most times I'd seen them driving), and went head on into a truck they apparently didn't see (luckily they survived, was on the trucks side of the road).
personally I hope this family member never gets their licence back, and they should aim to get more of these kinds of people off the roads.

just look at it like this. as soon as people see a police car out there their rear ends tighten up and they drive safer.
unfortunately they don't drive this way everytime they get in and operate a very deadly piece of machinery.
if people did drive in that way all the time the roads would be safer.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
on that same token you could say "well if the person was travelling at 95 instead of 100 they would not have been at the point in time"

target it where its where speed has caused accidents. target whatever it is that causes accidents and go after the perpetrators.
but simply saying that 1km over the limit is the be all and end of for so many crashes is absolutely false, and unfortunately its been forced fed to people that it is gospel.

don't worry, I do agree the limits the limit, and your silly for breaking the law.
as I believe jester normally says "its a voluntary tax for the stupid" and he is quite right. you have a choice to not get the ticket.

all im saying is, they should get out there and get those off the roads that shouldn't be there.
we went through this recently with a family member. firstly we have no idea how they got their licence, and then not only they are terrible at driving while also being extremely distracted (caught them on the phone most times I'd seen them driving), and went head on into a truck they apparently didn't see (luckily they survived, was on the trucks side of the road).
personally I hope this family member never gets their licence back, and they should aim to get more of these kinds of people off the roads.

just look at it like this. as soon as people see a police car out there their rear ends tighten up and they drive safer.
unfortunately they don't drive this way everytime they get in and operate a very deadly piece of machinery.
if people did drive in that way all the time the roads would be safer.

Completely agree and that is what the AA in NZ is saying as well, however that does not work with having to issue X number of tickets (police quotas which have been denied officially but leaked emails have proven do exist).

You'll also find that the majority of speed cameras in NZ are located at the bottom of hills or inclines where it's natural to increase speed a little. In these scenarios where you are travelling down hill followed directly by a section of uphill I tend to let the vehicle pick up a little speed which is wiped of momentarily when you head up the next hill, let gravity do the work and save a little gas at the same time, certainly not dangerous. The most prolific speed camera in NZ is in Dunedin and is located on a very steep hill were it's very easy to gain speed if you're not careful. Not a high accident spot though as far as I'm aware. NZ's 2 newest speed cameras, the new digital type are also located on long down hill sections of road not far from where I live, roads that have had a major increase in traffic in the last few years, ideal for revenue gathering.

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
You'll also find that the majority of speed cameras in NZ are located at the bottom of hills or inclines where it's natural to increase speed a little.

in western australia it's actually illegal for them place speed cameras at the bottom or going down a incline, for this reason.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I wish it was here :(

Sometimes they even go as far as placing a mobile speed camera a bit further down the hill past the fixed camera hoping to catch people out who may let the vehicle accelerate once past the fixed camera. That was the camera that I blocked, at the bottom of the hill past the fixed camera :D

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Official stats are in 17 dead in this holiday period.

Tonight on the news the cops said that of the 15 crashes 11 involved speed/alcohol and 2 others involving driver fatigue etc. WTF 3 crashes all with multiple fatalities were caused by drivers crossing the paths of large trucks, 1 doing a U turn and 2 others of cars pulling out of side streets and crossing the paths of milk tankers. How the #### can you use speed and alcohol as the primary cause?

The ####ing cops are making this **** up.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
we have 3 cameras locally 2 brandnew one old film camera all along the same road withen 4km of each other on the only road into our suburb.not surprisingly one of the brandnew cameras was cut down and serverly damaged a week or 2 after being fitted LOL 2 are fitted on downhill sections one as you come off an 80kmh zone to a 50kmh zone one at the top of a hill pointing downhill that covers 4 lanes up and downhill.if it flashes you for speeding it also checks reg and wof and tickets for them too if they are out its also been said that the 2 new ones are linked and will flash you if it thinks youve been speeding between the 2 cameras downhill.they are also live feed cameras the cops can be sitting in there control room and just watch the cameras.one camera did 5000 tickets in the first week its like a money printer

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yep, we had the very first one of the new cameras installed not far from me, a road that has tripled it's traffic volume in the last few years. A section of road that has had it's speed reduced to 80km/h to boot. Both new cameras on down hill sections of road as well.

I wonder how well these new fancy digital units would cope with a powerful blast of electromagnetic energy? Those new digital cameras sit on some serious hardware. Would have taken a bit to cut one down. I see they are similar to the type used by the British. Seen a few you tube clips of em with burning tyres around em :)

Well, the cops response is in, since yesterday they have gone mad with speeding, multiple cops on a short section of the southern motorway targeting speedsters. One with a radar gun and multiple bike cops to chase em down. Lots of sirens going again this morning no doubt doing the same thing. It's pathetic.