Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

o2 Sensor replacement

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
looking at replacing the O2 sensors on my vx, there's two of them and they are two wire.

There seem to be plenty of them on ebay, for not much......do the cheaper generic ones work/last, or should buy the genuine article, or is that just throwing money away?

When installing, does the computer need to know there are new ones(ie need resetting) or does it all take care of itself.

br14nh

Back in the saddle....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 wagon 5sp Manual
If it were me, I would be buying the (Bosch?) ones from Repco, or somewhere reputable - given the amount they cost & the job they do, unless you know where the Ebay ones come from, I would be prepared to spend a little more to get a "known good" item. I certainly don't want to chance having to climb under the car to change them more than once if they happen to stuff up, just to save a few bucks.

On the other hand, if others have had a good run with the Ebay ones, then they may be worth a look... but I prefer to stick with tried & true for "critical" components.

As far as I know there shouldn't be any resetting needed, the O2 sensors only come on line once they reach operating temperature so they should simply be an "install & go" job.

cold_carve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS 6sp Manual
yeah personally id stick with genuine! there are alot of lume configurations when it comes to o2s and thats just the start, o2s put out a voltage reading in millivolts and the theres only a few hundred millivolts that translate to the vcm that your engine is running rich or lean. With way fuel costs go and not to mention mechanical work these days you dont wanna stuff with that for the sake of saving little money at the time cause being a sensor it is a criticle component of your car, and its in place to ensure your engines running stoich and that other components dont get damaged from any rich or lean fuel mixtures.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Guys, I know what the O2 sensor does and how critical it is.
What I wanted to know was does anyone have experience/feedback with the generic/cheaper ones.

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Guys, I know what the O2 sensor does and how critical it is.
What I wanted to know was does anyone have experience/feedback with the generic/cheaper ones.

Just replaced the oxygen sensor in our VP 6 with a generic sensor. Was $35 from ebay including postage via courier. I no longer get error codes so im happy with it so far. Not sure how long it will last though. Look at it this way... Its better than the sensor that was in it. 350xxx and never replaced :p

Btw, it was a 2 wire sensor.

crewzincool

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN-V6/2005 SV6
i got one off ebay and the insides fell apart after a couple of months.**** ,went to repco and got a bosch one... it was double the size, no problems with the one on the right after 12 months
img1641sm7.jpg

Last edited:

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
The ebay one I bought was the same shape as the one on the left, but a bit longer in length. The one on the right is the same shape/size as the original AC Delco one that was in it. :p How much did repco want for the bosch? I went to bursons and they wanted about $70 odd for a brand iv never heard. So ebay was the clear price winner :p

Now to see if it lasts... lol

crewzincool

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN-V6/2005 SV6
The ebay one I bought was the same shape as the one on the left, but a bit longer in length. The one on the right is the same shape/size as the original AC Delco one that was in it. :p How much did repco want for the bosch? I went to bursons and they wanted about $70 odd for a brand iv never heard. So ebay was the clear price winner :p

Now to see if it lasts... lol

think it was about $55...there was two types..one had the exact connector, to plug straight into the original plug...the other and slightly cheaper one, both bosch..the one i got ,you had to cut the original plug off your sensor and crimp it to the new one..no big deal easy...