Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

o2 Sensor replacement

cold_carve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS 6sp Manual
Got me buggered but why would you want to go cheap and make more work for yaself on something thats a simple replacement part, im sorry if this sounds heated but to me its like you basically saying your after retread tyres for your wifes road car! unnessasary corner cutting!
people complain when theres a 10c fuel price hike but your willing to half arse your money on something that could either cost you or save you money not to menton feel and performance of the car
get with the program, its a sensor, its sensitive it works in conjunction with your cars computer, do yaself a favour and pay 10-20-30 bucks more now and save hundreds down the track with something decent, not to mention save yourself the hassle of the fitment of the darn thing by getting the right one first thing!
:bang:

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Got me buggered but why would you want to go cheap and make more work for yaself on something thats a simple replacement part, im sorry if this sounds heated but to me its like you basically saying your after retread tyres for your wifes road car! unnessasary corner cutting!
people complain when theres a 10c fuel price hike but your willing to half arse your money on something that could either cost you or save you money not to menton feel and performance of the car
get with the program, its a sensor, its sensitive it works in conjunction with your cars computer, do yaself a favour and pay 10-20-30 :

Please if you want discussion on this removed consult the moderator.
I want to hear about what experiences people have had, is that okay? Especially if it ends up that i can buy a part that does exactly the same thing for a fraction of the cost a gm dealer wants to charge.
I will make my own judgements as to what I will pay money for, we've heard your opinion, unless you have any additional meaningful information about the sensors please keep quiet.
It is unlikely that the failure of this sensor could create a serious safety issue and is a little bit different to putting known inferior tyres on a car.

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
get with the program, its a sensor, its sensitive it works in conjunction with your cars computer, do yaself a favour and pay 10-20-30 bucks more now and save hundreds down the track with something decent, not to mention save yourself the hassle of the fitment of the darn thing by getting the right one first thing!
:bang:

If your into the whole tuning scene (as you are), o2 sensors are important, or you will be chasing incorrect data and make tuning down to every poofteenth quite hard. For the average motorist I wouldnt be too concerned. If the sensor fails, then the ECU will guess based on other sensor readings. Look at the commodores exported to NZ for example. They diddnt even have o2 sensors! All they had was a bung in place to plug the hole. So I say if you can find a sensor for half the price that does the job, then why not? I think that theres alot more to worry about.

cold_carve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS 6sp Manual
well its a rather critical component and cars here depend on them, not only for emissions but also optimum driveability and fuel economy.... the range of o2s may look like say going to buy a mobile phone but you gotta think, the variety of cars theyre in and the years of development, the o2s used in a VZ commodore are boardering on wideband technologies! you have heated elements, communication between the sensor and the computer making sure things are reading fast enough and the sensor is at optimum operating temps at all times... all sorts of stuff, base line principle is the same for all sensors but ones used in cars these days its too much of a gamble for the sake of saving a few dollars.
but yeah thing really gets to me is that spend lotta money on a decent car but cant be bothered in spending little more money on criticle bits to ensure its reliability and longativity. i cant stop you doing what you want to do, just want you to really think is it all worth the hassle and chance for the sake of 10-20 bucks, put it into perspective only saving money on what could be spent on a dvd or a 6 pack from the bottlo... end of the day that money invested into your car could save you hundreds in fuel costs.

"It is unlikely that the failure of this sensor could create a serious safety issue and is a little bit different to putting known inferior tyres on a car." you want a good reason, any possible warrenty void and opening the window of costly engine repairs if things go skew-if, again end of the day cant force you to do anything, just want you to be aware before you try thats all.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Cold carve: you dont seem to get it?again if you have some specific knowledge on whether the generic sensors aren't up to standard/ dont work, please let us know. Please dont patronise everyone and myself with another description of what they do. $20 or $30 difference......a bit more than that when there is two of them and the GM price is close to ?
Warranties? on a VX? .....wouldnt the sensors be covered as part of a new car warranty?

cold_carve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS 6sp Manual
well if i dont get it why are you posting in a VZ section when your plugging about a VX?
look if your animent on taking shortcuts with unknown ****e for measily chump change do whatever i dont really give a stuff, end of the day its your call, and in honestly i got better things to do than argue

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
I've put eBay sensors on my VT in the past, they were fine. I'm sure there are crap ones out there, but check with the seller what brand they are. Stick with big names like Bosch, AC Delco, Delphi etc and you'll be fine.

woody13666

Dan05sv666
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz sv6
o2 sensor failure

my 05 svz kept coming up with the "check powertrain" light contstantly on start up,noticed a rich fuel mixture out the exhaust,bad fuel economy and occasionaly splutter on start up,have heard the o2 sensors have caused this issue before being that they sense air and fuel mixture flow in your exhaust and send info to your ecu adjusted the mixture and upon failure usual issues are the ones i just mentioned,my local local holden dealer didnt agree and advised i put the car in to test on there computer,said no lol:yeah:,tested sensors myself finding it to be after cat left hand side o2 sensor(4 wire),checked around several outlets to only find genuines are only they could get pre cat sensor-$250 after cat sensor $175 same everywhere:cry:,holden still say the fault will be present until i reset the data logger faults,is this true,if so how do reset these faults so i can save excessive labour cost?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
you will need holden or another mechanic with a tech2 or scantool to reset the code.the front sensors are so expensive cause they are wideband ones most likely 0 258 007200 bosch LSU 4.2 sensor $100+ online

Crucibyl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Where are these sensors? and How do you remove/replace? Please Help! I have had the same Pain In The Azz warning this morning and the SV6 wouldn't turn over. {Powertrain check} I just fixed the oil sensor like 1 month ago!