Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

O2 Sensors

yeah.yeah

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of putting heat bandage on extractors to take heat away from from sensors. The sensors have been tested and are good, but engine light comes on and off while driving.The mechanic at Holdens told me, "it could be the silastic they used burning off" or "the sensors are getting hot"

jack.mc

Nothing witty to say :(
Reaction score
Website
www.jacks-lounge.com
Members Ride
VN Vacationer
I have the same problem on my VN, have been trying to find a solution for 6 months. Could it be the same? Please, let it be the same? I just want to know how to fix it!!! BAAAHHHHH

TigerVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Commodore
yeah said:
Has anyone heard of putting heat bandage on extractors to take heat away from from sensors. The sensors have been tested and are good, but engine light comes on and off while driving.The mechanic at Holdens told me, "it could be the silastic they used burning off" or "the sensors are getting hot"
I haven't heard of it being used for that but might work.
I assume you have checked the fault codes to make sure that is the reason for the engine light?

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
the problem isnt the heat, its the lack of it. When extractors are fitted sometimes the o2 sensors dont get hot enough, the heat bandage may help. its not so common on v6's try a new sensor first.
If silastic or some other silicone sealer has been used it may have destroyed the sensor, it is not reversible damage.
Cheers Rob

yeah.yeah

Reaction score
It was checked by holdens and sensors came back as working.

TigerVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Commodore
yeah said:
It was checked by holdens and sensors came back as working.
Exactly. How do you know it is the O2 sensors setting off the warning light? Maybe there is something else causing the fault...