Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Obd2 stuff what works what doesn't?

spinking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Red Hot vy Storm S Uterus
You can get Bluetooth obd2 scanners you can get obd2 USB adapters with software CD for PC you can get obd2 head up displays I have even heard of using an iPad for a head unit by using an amplifier
(because that's the only part that an iPad basically lacks as a full blown head unit)
running apps that show speed, revs, temp stats ect and plugged in via obd2.

When purchasing any of these things is there anything I need to know? anything to look out for? Or will any old obd2 thing work? I want speedo tacho temp info not really concerned about error codes overly although any things a bonus.

manuelmanuel

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VZ Clubsport R8M6
For android phones there is a an app called Torque, not sure if its available on the iphone. Cost about $5, and you can view alot of info of your car including the ones that you have listed above.
I have found it easy to use and quite useful.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL Wagon
if you buy a bluetooth obd11 mini from ebay (about $12) it comes with torque for android already, i use one on my fiesta and works great. bit bored of it now though. do you know if the OBD readers work on commodores? i know they don't work on pre 2002 falcons but do work on 2006 territory and most imported cars.

spinking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Works on mrs Vz but not properly and doesent work at all on my vy

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
They only work on the v8's vt-vy then vz v8 and v6

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike

spinking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah it looks to be that all you can do is get an aldl controller off eBay more expensive than obd2 scanners but still not too expensive its your only hope really. The Mrs Vz v6 worked could get codes and data and full functionality exept that I got a warning on the dash that said warning safety mode reduced performence. That went away once I finished playing around and turned car off and on again. Maybe this obd stuff is just better off in the rice burners where you can install an iPad as a head unit and have the engine stats and Speedo running as an app. but I wouldn't bother