Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

OBDLink SX USB with VS connector

GK813

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Hi all I'm looking at making my own laptop scan tool for my VS Ute because I think the crankshaft sensor is failing, with the OBDLink SX USB cable online, I'm not sure if it will fit in the plug on my Ute, the ute has the same amount of female pins and it looks like the plastic housing is the same but I wanted to make sure as this will be my first scan tool. I'm good with computers and I might get the pinout of the cabin plug and make my own USB cable with pins to insert into the plug (a bit crude but should work) unless there is more going on inside the bought one like some sort of circuit protection.

Plug in cabin.jpgOBD USB.jpg

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
Looks like another OBD 2 interface. I doubt it works on VS, which needs ALDL.

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The cables are cheap, something like $25 to buy one. The program to run it effectively is over $100. The cable is nothing special it's the software where the magic happens. I have a cable but the software was on an old laptop and was not transferable. It was thrown in the fire as it was on its last legs.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
The cables are cheap, something like $25 to buy one. The program to run it effectively is over $100. The cable is nothing special it's the software where the magic happens. I have a cable but the software was on an old laptop and was not transferable. It was thrown in the fire as it was on its last legs.
Where do you buy the cables for $25.00?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi all I'm looking at making my own laptop scan tool for my VS Ute because I think the crankshaft sensor is failing, with the OBDLink SX USB cable online, I'm not sure if it will fit in the plug on my Ute, the ute has the same amount of female pins and it looks like the plastic housing is the same but I wanted to make sure as this will be my first scan tool. I'm good with computers and I might get the pinout of the cabin plug and make my own USB cable with pins to insert into the plug (a bit crude but should work) unless there is more going on inside the bought one like some sort of circuit protection.

View attachment 250445View attachment 250443
Heres a good one with software.

GK813

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Ah yes the cable I looked at is for OBD2 protocols for cars 1996 and newer:
https://www.obdlink.com/products/obdlink-sx/

Thanks I'm now looking for an ALDL cable and looking at the one above and I'm hoping theres free software or something around $100

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride

GK813

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
For the link l gave, $80.00 for the cable & software.
That looks good I'm trying to figure out which software I need, theres a few videos I need to see and for $80 they have my bid thanks Lex

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Efilive v4 is free and works well once you have the cable.

Just download the correct bin file and away you go

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute