Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oh my... Enter if you want, things are a bit messy though.

deXtrous

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Acclaim
Alright, let me give you a little recap of some tragic events in my past,

It's two years ago and I'm fiddling around with the connections on my amp with the battery connected also

Due to my ignorance, things go bad.

The amp (or something else) blows and stops working.

There was bits of black carbon soot near the connections on the amp, which makes me believe it was the amp that blew.

I forget about the amp, speakers and my sub, I take them out and just leave them to gain dust in my garage for a couple years.

Fast forward to recent days, and I've bought a VS with two 6x9's in it.

These speakers are of lesser quality than my old ones so I take them out and sell them to a mate.

I'm left with the two speakers from my old car in which the amp blew (I think).

Due to whatever reasons I haven't driven my VS in some months and the battery had gone dead before I sold the speakers from them.

I wanted to test the speakers from my old car to see if they worked before I sold the new ones, but I didn't have the chance.

Coming up to the point of this thread I present this question,

In your opinion, was it the amplifier that blew, or could it have been the speakers too? The speakers look fine and have no corrosion/black carbon soot anywhere on the connectors. I'm just a bit worried that I tested nothing and as far as I know they all could have blown.

In your experience, in a similar scenario is it common for speakers to blow, or just the amplifier?

Thanks guys, sorry for the length :rofl2:

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Just test the speakers, get to one of your door speakers and use the wires to power the 6x9s.

deXtrous

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Acclaim
Just test the speakers, get to one of your door speakers and use the wires to power the 6x9s.

I have no battery to turn the car on, I was just feeling a bit anxious and wanted to see if anyone had any related experienced with it.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Do you have a Hi-Fi system or anything with audio out? Just use that as a source.

Stretchomatic

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
86 VL Berlina M5
really it should have blown a fuse before it damaged anything to badly...
pretty sure you can test a speaker with a 9 volt battery, its how they check polarity.

deXtrous

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Acclaim
Cool thanks for the ideas :)

*uwishn*

Holden special vehicles
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl walkinshaw(replica)nissan navara d40 st-x turbo
THE ONLY MESSY THING THATS ON YOUR MIND IS A BLOWN AMP,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, YOUR DOING WELL LOL
the speakers should be fine.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
If you hook the speaker up to a battery, all it will do is make the cone gone full in one direction, if you reverse the polarity it will go to the other direction. If it does this then yes the speakers should be OK.

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
cant hurt to throw a ohm meter accross the speaker too.

impulsed_sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
ive been told a good way to test a speaker with out using power is to get a volt-meter and test how many volts and how much resitian in ohms it has i cant give you the numbers it should produce tho but if u look on google u ay find sum numbers