Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

oh no! loose rear upper trailing arm bolt.

waynethomson

Reaction score
Members Ride
series 3 ute
hi, ive bee hearing this unusual metalic like clicking sound on acceleration, braking and at other times too coming from the rear end and it had me spooked. id had a problem with my front brakes and other things to fix too. i got a new tailshaft and all driveline bearings done. new clutch from dual mass to single, simply wanting a tighter safer car and this noise has been hanging around. i put it into a shop and said " ipay the hourly rate so could you please go over it and try to identify what the problem is" get a clean bill of health. this was only last week. so yesterday i jacked it up and had a good look around and found the bolt in question hanging out about 12mm. i tightend it up , took it for a drive and the noise is all but gone.
my question is...should i replace the bushes? it has to be a bit mangled doesnt it? thanks guys

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Should be able to see if the rubber of the bushes is worn.
Not much effort to take arm out and have a good look if you can't tell with it in the car
Rubber should not be cracked or worn
Have a good look at all the other bushes, should be able to see if they are worn or stuffed with everything still in car.
They're not that expensive and easy to change if you have access to a press.
Another thing that can make a bit of a clunking sound is if one of the exhaust hanger rubbers is broken

Last edited:

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
If you think the upper control arm bushes are shot take the arm out and put the inner metal part of the bush in a vice and then move the arm. If the bush is split the arm will move easily and the split will open up.
This is how I checked the ones on my VN when I had one. I bought new arms from Holden as they were inexpensive. The bushed arms have a different part number from FE2 to STD as the FE2 has harder bushings from memory.
BTW when you tightened the loose nut was the weight of the car on the suspension as these bushes are only meant to be done up tight with the car sitting on the wheels otherwise the bush will be under strain at normal ride height.

waynethomson

Reaction score
Members Ride
series 3 ute
it was jacked up. ill do it straight on tomoro. im going to get new upper and lower arms after xmas. maybe the nolathane ones. what do you reckn. as well my rear panhard has a chain and a springy thing on it. whats that? this mechanic dude today said hed never seen one before?? thanks mate

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
That chain and spring connect to brakes. It's load sensing . Adjusts proportioning of brakes depending on load in ute by reading/measuring ride height of ute at rear . Assuming it's been set or standard ride height and you're not raising or lowering ute , (different height springs) you don't nead to adjust but you do want to keep it connected.