Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil additives in Ls1?

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Hi guys I have a vx ls1 with 138k on the clock, usually when I change the oil I put in moreys heavy duty oil stabiliser as well (1L) my car is due for an oil change again and I'm wandering should I add the oil stabiliser again or give it a miss? Oil is Penrite hpr 10

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Geez, mate its more of a personal opinion, do you need someone to give you yours? you must of seen value in the claims, so continue to use it? I have nulon 80k treatment in mine, can run it dry of oil and keep going, great if the sump ever gets pierced in the middle of bum####.

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
Personally, i think oil stabilizers are a marketing gimmick. But the stop leak and engine flush do seem to work (altho the stop leak is a cheap and nasty fix). As long as u r using good quality oil and doing regular changes then the engine should stay happy for years to come.

I just use nulon 10w-40 cos it comes in a 6L container. Helps with the oil surge issues that come about when only using 5-5.5L

As stereotype said...its personal preference. If u want to add it then go ahead, its certainly not going to do any harm, and if it gives u peace of mind, then thats an added bonus

munter000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ wagon
What about that grey sludgy stuff?....MBL8 or something like that.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Was just seeing what other people's opinions on them were, whether it's worth the money etc... As for the claims about the product of course they are going to endorse their product and say it does this and that but I was wandering if there's any truth to it

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Used liqui moly oil treatment twice but it made the lifters tick. Changed to Penrite Vantage semi synth with NO additive and the engine has never been quieter and runs so smoothly..my opinion additives are a waste of $$$..just buy good quality oil..

moneypit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais
Send Penrite an email, I guarantee they will reply with, please don't put aditives in our oil, we put plenty in already!

A bit of searching will tell you that not all aditives are compatible with each other, some even compete with each other, meaning you are worse off.

If you are worried about the hpr10 not being good enuf, and want to stay with the aussie brand, just fork out for the racing ten tenths stuff. It has more aditives than hpr and a higher quality base, and it probably will be cheaper when you add the cost of the additives you are useing.

Changing the oil and filter at 5k instead of 10k intervals will do more to keep things clean than additives or even flushes. Go to the wreckers and look at a 5ltr holden engine with the valley off, the gunk is almost tar like if they have been neglected, and it seems to be very common.

The only time an additive may be usefull is if you are trying to temporarily mask a mechanical issue till you can get it fixed properly.

The above is only my opinion.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Ok there's enough votes for not using the additive so when I do the oil change I'll just use the hpr 10 by itself