Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil cap blew off supercharged 383 stroker now it doesn't seem right???

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
10:1 compression & 8 PSI boost is more than capable of running for a long time. This is only possible if the car has a large intercooler, runs 98 octane or higher & has a spot on tune.

Anything is possible, but I don't think this is a good idea

a factory LS engine runs this type of comp and can be blowen but even then there is countless stories of them not lasting

But turn the table and having a worked holden 383 stroker built to be N/A and I really think ur playing with a engine that's about to go bang,

Having a factory engine with this type of comp and having a purpose built stroker designed for N/A is 2 very different things, and the stock one I would say yer put it on and safe tune by so some who knows what they are doin, but the propose built stroker and I'll say definetly not

if this could work hassle free then quite simply this is how people would build there F,I engines

but they are not because they go bang and usually fearly quickly to

Next thing does this have a forged crank or a cast crank?? if it's cast again it's beyond its limits and dicing with catastrophic engine failure

Does it have a girdle or 4 bolt mains

Does it have arp head stud kit??

Does it have H beam rods with 2000 series arp bolts ??

A lot of 500hp N/A strokers have none of these but are a must in 600+hp FI set ups

This is pumping out some 650hp maybe a bit more with a lot of torque

IMO this has a high chance it will end badly

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Anything is possible, but I don't think this is a good idea

a factory LS engine runs this type of comp and can be blowen but even then there is countless stories of them not lasting

But turn the table and having a worked holden 383 stroker built to be N/A and I really think ur playing with a engine that's about to go bang,

Having a factory engine with this type of comp and having a purpose built stroker designed for N/A is 2 very different things, and the stock one I would say yer put it on and safe tune by so some who knows what they are doin, but the propose built stroker and I'll say definetly not

if this could work hassle free then quite simply this is how people would build there F,I engines

but they are not because they go bang and usually fearly quickly to

Next thing does this have a forged crank or a cast crank?? if it's cast again it's beyond its limits and dicing with catastrophic engine failure

Does it have a girdle or 4 bolt mains

Does it have arp head stud kit??

Does it have H beam rods with 2000 series arp bolts ??

A lot of 500hp N/A strokers have none of these but are a must in 600+hp FI set ups

This is pumping out some 650hp maybe a bit more with a lot of torque

IMO this has a high chance it will end badly

Hmm fair call.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Have you had the tune looked at since going charged? What AFRs does it run above 100kpa?

Vents from the rocker covers are essential on this kind of set up. Forgive me if I've missed them in pics. On the phone

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
Have you had the tune looked at since going charged? What AFRs does it run above 100kpa?

Vents from the rocker covers are essential on this kind of set up. Forgive me if I've missed them in pics. On the phone

100kpa is 14.5 psi, he is running 8 psi

He would of had it properly tuned as it's making 370rwkw, this is about the maximum limit for a v1,v2 and v3 blower, maybe 40-50kW more from a T trim in a really efficient set up

and plus if he didn't have it tuned it would of run lean and blowen up not long after it come onto boost

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
100kpa is 14.5 psi, he is running 8 psi

He would of had it properly tuned as it's making 370rwkw, this is about the maximum limit for a v1,v2 and v3 blower, maybe 40-50kW more from a T trim in a really efficient set up

and plus if he didn't have it tuned it would of run lean and blowen up not long after it come onto boost

Question needs to be asked. Assuming things doesn't clarify ****

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It's a Holden motor, get to greedy with the timing and it will pop a head gasket. You have good head gaskets you may pop something else.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
the ol' chains weakest link trick hey?

always leave the easiest thing to replace as your weakest link. so when it breaks... its easy to replace :p

Just take a look at the LS engines, they come standard with MLS type gaskets, piston failure is as likely as the head gasket giving way.

The old Holden 253/304/308's will always push gaskets out faster because they only have 4 bolts per cylinder compared to the 5 bolt Chev engines. It also seems that the Holdens seem to have a fairly efficient combustion chamber and don't generally run as much timing either for this reason.

Blu383

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 Vt supercharged 383 stroker
Thanks for all the input guys, sorry I haven't been online for a while.
The cars in getting looked at at the moment, so far we've found there is no compression in cylinder 6. Mechanic seems to think there was an issue with the lifters that could be causing it.
The car spent almost 30 hours on the dyno being tuned for this setup so it's pretty spot on and a safe tune but yeah I'm thinking I really need to get that compression down and do something with the PCV setup.
Once the mechanic has figured out exactly what's wrong with it I'm gonna talk with the bloke that did the charger setup/tune about what needs to be done to make it last.

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
30 hours on the dyno !!!!!

Dude find another tuner

jezza tuned my car with a base tune for run in, that took about 2 hours, then when I hooked the blower on and went in for a full tune again it takes about 2 hours

30 hours is just redicioulus

If u don't mind me asking who tuned it and where abouts are u located ???