Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil Catch Can VE V6

calais06

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais MY06
hey all,

I recently bought a OCC for my Alloytec 195.

Its coming this week hopefully and i'm wanting to know if there is anywhere on the alloytec's where i can get my mechanic to plumb it back into the oil system? Otherwise its just going to build up in the can, and i'd rather the oil go back to the sump.

Any ideas/possible solutions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
It shouldn't build up that much

just clean it when you service it

calais06

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais MY06
My car has an issue where quite a bit of oil i believe is coming through the pcv valve and then in turn will be in the can, was just trying to find out if there is somewhere to plumb it if it is coming through that pipe.

LuminaME

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE Lumina 3.6L
YOU MUST NOT ROUTE BACK TO ENGINE OIL system ... from what I have seen trust me you don't want that nasty mixture to get into your engine.

The thing collected in catch can is not only engine oil vapor. But also fuel and water vapors which condensate in the catch can and mix up forming a real mixed dirty material.

Generally in summers this is really negligable amount. All 5 summer month it didnt even fill my tiny catch can. But in winter it got filled like every month (I have like 250cc catch can).

calais06

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais MY06
YOU MUST NOT ROUTE BACK TO ENGINE OIL system ... from what I have seen trust me you don't want that nasty mixture to get into your engine.

The thing collected in catch can is not only engine oil vapor. But also fuel and water vapors which condensate in the catch can and mix up forming a real mixed dirty material.

Generally in summers this is really negligable amount. All 5 summer month it didnt even fill my tiny catch can. But in winter it got filled like every month (I have like 250cc catch can).

Thanks for the tip..

I'll just check it regulary then.

06Calais

Keeps me Broke
Reaction score
Website
img717.imageshack.us
Members Ride
06 calais
I thought most have a little drain plug/valve on bottom where you just hold a cup or mug under it, open the plug/valve and drain. close it back up and your all set to fill it again. There will be unburned fuel in there you dont want that near you thrust bearings (possible ignition), plud there will be small amounts of steam in your motor that will make its way to OCC. so yeah dont put that back in your motor. I guess if your keen you can have the outlet of your OCC conected to the original inlet your upper intake manifold (plenum) and when its full it will start putting all the crap into your intake a combustion chamber, (yuck) but if your going to do that, why have a OCC? My advice just drain the thing every so often.

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
Calais06: when you're finished, I'd be interested to know how much this project cost in parts and labour;
and of course, any other observation you might have.

vq~gangsta

Resident science geek
Reaction score
Website
www.mbs.adelaide.edu.au
Members Ride
VE 3.0 SIDI ex-cop
I've read that the SIDIs have problems with the inlets getting foweled up with muck from the PCV hose. As there is no fuel running through the inlets, they get gunked up with the oil from the PCV hose with nothing to wash it away. Many people suggest using a catch can to collect the oil, and I've just ordered one for mine to hopefully prevent this gunk from building up too badly. I've also bought a can of carby cleaner to hopefully clean out whatever has built up.

I got an oil catch can for $35 bucks off ebay. The inside of it was pretty bare so I just put some fuel hose in the nipple/nossle bit inside the catch can to direct the vapors downward, and put in a scourer pad to give the vapors something to condense against with some wire underneath it to prop it up from the bottom of the catch can. Now I just need to figure out where/how to mount the catch can, and how to hook it up. I might try and get an old PCV hose from the wreckers so I can use the plastic connector bit at the end to connect a hose to and run it to my catch can to save me from destroying my PCV hose.

any input appreciated

Last edited:

vq~gangsta

Resident science geek
Reaction score
Website
www.mbs.adelaide.edu.au
Members Ride
VE 3.0 SIDI ex-cop
I've tried to do some planning as to exactly how i'm going to install the catch can and it's a little tricker than I thought. Is anyone able to offer some input?

I've taken some pics to hopefully aid in the discussion of exactly how to do the 'plumbing' for the catch can.

As far as I'm aware (keep in mind I'm not a mechanic), these two hoses are the PCV hose and the rocker cover breather hose, and to install the catch can, the catch can goes in line with the PCV hose:

2013-08-22162502_zps98322e72.jpg

This is a close up of where the PCV line goes into the intake manifold:
2013-08-22162508_zps0a383335.jpg

This shows the PCV line going back towards the PCV valve:
2013-08-22162522_zps384a26c4.jpg

And this one shows the PCV valve, where the nasty oil vapors leave the engine:
2013-08-22162534_zps4d8d63c9.jpg

First thing to figure out is exactly where/how people have mounted their catch cans, as as spare space in that engine bay seems to be in short supply.

Next, can anyone offer tips on how they replaced the PCV line with their own hose to go to the catch can? In the second pic it shows where the line goes to the intake manifold. It seems it's just a matter of unplugging the PCV line from that plastic hose connector fitting, but it seems to be stuck on real good, and that fitting is actually part of the PCV hose as when you buy a new one that fitting is part of it. How exactly have people removed the hose from that fitting? Do you just heat it up with a heat gun, or is it necessary to actually cut the PCV hose to remove it from the fitting? I was thinking of going to You Pull It (DIY wreckers) to get one of those fittings off a scrapped car.

Also, how hard is it to disconnect the PCV hose from the PCV valve, and does that require heat or a knife to do so? it looks like that bit is hard to get to, I think it's under the heater hoses.

I can see advice from someone who's actually done this before is going to be priceless, but I'm certainly open to ideas from anyone that can offer them.

Last edited:

vq~gangsta

Resident science geek
Reaction score
Website
www.mbs.adelaide.edu.au
Members Ride
VE 3.0 SIDI ex-cop
Oh and I thought I'd also include some info on how I made my cheap-O catch can less crap.

This is the catch can I got off ebay:
2013-08-22202030_zps47d25797.jpg

As you can see, the inside is pretty bare. Oil vapors can basically go from the inlet to the outlet directly in which case the catch can isn't doing much at all:
2013-08-22202105_zps8920edc4.jpg

To help make it fully-sick, I put some 5mm fuel line inside on of the nipples (is nipple the right word?) to direct the inlet vapors downwards. I also used a stainless steel scourer pad to give the vapors something to condense against, and made up a spring from some fencing wire to prop the scourer pad up off the floor of the catch can:

I then put the spring into the catch can like so, and it's held in place by a magnet that was already attached to the drain bolt when I got the catch can:

And put the scourer pad on top of the spring like so:

Now the vapors are drawn in through the inlet, they go down the tube into/under the scourer pad, and then have to travel through the scourer pad before they can exit the catch can. I've seen some people use steel wool instead of a scourer, but I was a bit worried about bits of steel fibers being sucked into my engine so decided a scourer pad was a much safer way to play things.

Remember to click like if this little tutorial helps. I like getting likes :)