Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil consumption test

commodoreboy12

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
hi fellas took my 2010 VE Sv6 for an oil consumption test its on half at the moment on the dip stick holden is always telling me crap they tell me they will do the consumption and fix it they did it twice now and said they cant do anything until its got the oil light coming on they were quite rude and I feel like they dont want to do anything to it. they told me at the 45k service it was down and they will fix it when I bring it back they said they recorded details about it but they didnt, i called them when i noticed it going down they said do another 500 kms so I did and now I took it back and they told me its gone down but they dont really want to do anything about it thats the feeling I got from them what should I do?

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
How much oil does go through?
It is normal for them to burn a bit, more so if it is running the thinner grade oils.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Go to another dealership.

/Thread.

brad VE SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SSV redline wagon
I'd go to another dealership, just be careful they are just not trying to stretch the warranty out and if the do manage to sill repair it it may not have as long left on warranty to ensure it was fixed properly..

I have heard of them doing this.

I might have to go through the same thing with my ssv..

Brad

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
I'd go to another dealership, just be careful they are just not trying to stretch the warranty out and if the do manage to sill repair it it may not have as long left on warranty to ensure it was fixed properly..

I have heard of them doing this.

I might have to go through the same thing with my ssv..

Brad

Wow seriously, that's a worry!
How much oil does it use, how many k on the clock?
Which oil do you use?

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
I checked my oil this morning on my SIDI after 13000 k's and it wasn't reading jack on the dipstick. I then went and spent $70 on Castrol Edge hoping I would have a bit left over for when it happens again and to my amazement it took 4 litres to get it back to normal level.

Is this the usual case with the SIDI engine? Anyone else had this problem?

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
just out of curiosity, how many of these vehicles are city driven vehicles?
the dealership i work at doesnt have any alloytec's coming back with oil consumption issues, wonder if its to do with the type of driving and oil change intervals.

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
Mine would be half/half I suppose. Not a lot of city driving. It's taken me over a year to do 13000 k's.

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
that is your first problem right there, oil isnt designed to last more than 6 months.

Yeah, I meant to change it at 6 month intervals but forgot. Will definitely do it in the future.

I'll also be getting Holden to check why it's using oil though.