Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil dripping from bottom of bellhousing

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
Background.

2003 VY 3.8 V6 manual

Gearbox has just been out for overhaul. Previously had a water leak with water dripping from bellhousing. I concluded it was the rear blanking cover leaking. For the time being I had reduced/pretty well stopped the leak by backing the radiator cap off to the first notch.

I bought a new blanking cover including rear main seal which I got the workshop to replace while the gearbox was out.

As luck would have it the manifold gasket had failed in the days leading up to the car going in to have the gearbox done. I know it must have been very recent as I was checking the radiator water level every few days due to the existing leak. Photos of the radiator cap showed gunk that wasn't present when I checked it last.

There was water in the oil when they ran the car. They initially though there was a problem with the rear blanking plate so that came back off. That's when the faulty manifold gasket was discovered. I have photos confirming this. New manifold gaskets fitted plus a replacement gasket for the rear blanking plate fitted.

A day or two after getting the car back I noticed drips of green fluid (coolant) dripping from the bell housing. I backed off the radiator cap and the leak seemed to stop. However there is now oil dripping from the same location. Initially I thought it was oil and water.

I took it back for them to check. They couldn't see any water, and neither could I when I looked with them, but there was oil dripping from the bell housing.

Their conclusion is the drips are due to the sump gasket leaking. I'm not convinced. To be fair the sump is quite moist in places but in my opinion not wet to the extent that would cause drips. Also these drips were not present prior to the work being done. I don't see how anything relating to the work they did would trigger the sump to leak like this.

My question.

Would a leaking sump gasket cause oil to drip from the bellhousing area?

It's not a cheap job to replace especially if the leak is more likely coming from elsewhere.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
IIRC you need to put a dab of goo in each corner of the rear cover where it meets the sump. That's the fun with old cars, there is always a possibility of a leak when you disturb a old gasket.

iu

Along the bottom there where the orange goo is the sump gasket

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
Thanks.

I see your picture has sealant in other places as well. Is that necessary in addition to the sealing strip on the rear cover gasket or just precautionary?

So the million dollar question. If I were to get them to remove the gearbox and the rear plate and refit the rear plate with a new gasket plus the sealant where you suggest what are my chances of this being successful? I'm trying to avoid the rigmarole and expense of removing the subframe to get access to replace the sump gasket at this time.

I presume it's futile to try and put he goo at the corners without removing the plate first?

Thanks for you help.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Thanks.

I see your picture has sealant in other places as well. Is that necessary in addition to the sealing strip on the rear cover gasket or just precautionary?

So the million dollar question. If I were to get them to remove the gearbox and the rear plate and refit the rear plate with a new gasket plus the sealant where you suggest what are my chances of this being successful? I'm trying to avoid the rigmarole and expense of removing the subframe to get access to replace the sump gasket at this time.

I presume it's futile to try and put he goo at the corners without removing the plate first?

Thanks for you help.

It's not my picture, just one I found on the interwebs that shows really well how things sit at the back of the ecotec engines.

It's really hard to say unfortunately.

These might help.

Attachments

• ecotec oil pan seal R+R.pdf
    239.2 KB · Views: 101
  • ecotec rear seal housing_R+R.pdf
    468.9 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
Sump gasket replaced. No more oil leaks, at least not in that area. :)

I do have another little issue for which I've started another thread.

Reactions: Lex