Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil efficacy

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Oil to water oil coolers are great for bringing up oil temps from cold, but they heat soak terribly when on it for extended periods

Alot of cars have them standard, I fitted one off a Subaru Forester to my Toyota 86, it looks like it was meant to be there, you can just see it under the oil filter
View attachment 243768
View attachment 243769

But, for your street car you need to data log temps, both daily driving, running the 1/4, 1000 mtrs or on the track

Even with a thermostat oil can sometimes not get warm enough, or, the cooler you pick isn't big enough, or small enough

A external oil cooler will slightly lower oil pressure, some designs are worse than others, a cooler with short tubes, but lots of rows is better than longer tubes with less rows, but then packaging get in the way

My old R33 needed a big air to oil cooler for track work, it has a high pressure high volume Tomei oil pump, and temps would never get over 110-115°c and oil pressure was spot on, but, on the street, temps wouldn't get over 80-90°C, I needed to cover the heatsink with a sheet of aluminium to be able to get my oil temp to an operating temp I was happy with i.e. 100°c
Couldnt you just put a 100C thermostat?
I know they make them for LS
You can choose 82C, 93c or 100C thermostat.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Couldnt you just put a 100C thermostat?
I know they make them for LS
[/URL]
You can choose 82C, 93c or 100C thermostat.
The 100°c thermostat might have been fine for the street, but then I would have had issues at the track

It was easier to just block it off

It was a Mishimoto one with the 85°c thermostat inside the adapter body

Like this >
MMOP-SPT.jpg

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Have you test ridden the livewire?
Nope, not yet

I've driven a few EV cars so I'm all over EV

I need a cruiser though as my back, arms and legs don't fold into sports bikes anymore

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Nope, not yet

I've driven a few EV cars so I'm all over EV

I need a cruiser though as my back, arms and legs don't fold into sports bikes anymore
It's not R1 or Ducati hunched. More of a sport touring position from memory.
And if haul's arse!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm used to race bikes. But if I was to get another road bike I think I want a Hayabusa.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Oil to water oil coolers are great for bringing up oil temps from cold, but they heat soak terribly when on it for extended periods

Alot of cars have them standard, I fitted one off a Subaru Forester to my Toyota 86, it looks like it was meant to be there, you can just see it under the oil filter
View attachment 243768
View attachment 243769

But, for your street car you need to data log temps, both daily driving, running the 1/4, 1000 mtrs or on the track

Even with a thermostat oil can sometimes not get warm enough, or, the cooler you pick isn't big enough, or small enough

A external oil cooler will slightly lower oil pressure, some designs are worse than others, a cooler with short tubes, but lots of rows is better than longer tubes with less rows, but then packaging get in the way

My old R33 needed a big air to oil cooler for track work, it has a high pressure high volume Tomei oil pump, and temps would never get over 110-115°c and oil pressure was spot on, but, on the street, temps wouldn't get over 80-90°C, I needed to cover the heatsink with a sheet of aluminium to be able to get my oil temp to an operating temp I was happy with i.e. 100°c

For years I ran an oil temp gauge in my old V6. Oil took ages to warm up but once warm it was significantly hotter than the coolant. The old V6 runs a lot of oil pressure, hot idle is around 40psi, cold idle saw 80psi.

I have one off the export V6 model, so a genuine item.

I too first took notice off them when doing an oil change on the boys Subaru.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Do you have the shim behind the spring, or a stiffer spring or neither?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I ran a new ecotec spring in my VN which really brought up the oil pressure the same as ecotec specs basically.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I tried to get one but Holden said either NLA or can't find a listing. The next option was a shim but it never happened.