Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil filter cap, how to get it off?

Hydrazine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Oh yea, made sure to torque it to at least 250nm :p

Hydrazine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
So I did apply some heat with a creme brulee torch to help (probably did not do too much given the huge heatsink), the filter will burn for about a second then die off when you hit the flame with it.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I've been changing oil and filter for 7 or 8 years regularly in my VE Alloytec , and I feel the trick is to wipe fresh oil over the new filter ring, hand screw it back down until it touches bottom then undo it an 1/8th of a turn.
I never have an oil leak as the new ring keeps it in, and it undoes next time without any problem.

Screwing the filter cap back on hard and without oil on the ring is asking for trouble.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I've been changing oil and filter for 7 or 8 years regularly in my VE Alloytec , and I feel the trick is to wipe fresh oil over the new filter ring, hand screw it back down until it touches bottom then undo it an 1/8th of a turn.
I never have an oil leak as the new ring keeps it in, and it undoes next time without any problem.

Screwing the filter cap back on hard and without oil on the ring is asking for trouble.
It's not the O-ring it's from people over torquing the cap when the engine is hot. I do it so cap touches then 1/64 more.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I do them up to 8Nm, not the 24Nm as they recommend so they make money from spare parts from back yard mechanics who break the top off the mould, next time if its that tight get a chain wrench.