Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil Filter Change

BullittSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
Hey all,

I've never changed the oil filter or replaced the oil in my car before.

I certain on most of it, with torque settings etc, but I'm not sure if I have to pre oil the oil filter before putting it back in.

Do I just need to oil the O-ring?

Any advice on where to oil the filter would be appreciated.

Cheers

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
24mm socket for the oil filter housing (located under the passenger side engine cover

13mm for the sump plug. Located at the front of the sump (or side, cant remember)

24nm to do up the filter housing and tighten the sump plug until it's tight. No need to reef on the ****.

aj1987

05 VZ Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 VZ Calais
Yeah, just dip your finger in the fresh oil and run it around the o'ring on the new filter. Don't need to drown it, just so that it slides into place when your spinning the filter on. Otherwise they can catch, stretch and sometimes split.
So yeah, just a little to lube it up and make it glide into place :)

BullittSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
Yeah, just dip your finger in the fresh oil and run it around the o'ring on the new filter. Don't need to drown it, just so that it slides into place when your spinning the filter on. Otherwise they can catch, stretch and sometimes split.

Thanks, much appreciated

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
The O-Ring doesn't need lubricating. The threads on the Oil Filter Cap just needs a little oil put onto them. You don't oil the o-ring. The o-ring is rubber and its natural give in the material is what does the sealing of the cap.

No need to pre oil the oil filter either.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
You need to put a little oil on the O ring to help it come off easier when you take it off next time and as already said to make sure it wont grip stretch and possibly split.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
no, no need to pre oil the filter - as soon as you fire it up it'll drown in oil.

I've also only ever oiled the threads on the cap just to stop it seizing in place, 4 years without a hiccup!

aj1987

05 VZ Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 VZ Calais

As stated above.... No threads, no drowning, no pre-oil, just a little to make the o'ring not catch.

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
The oiling of the thread is more important as agreed by torquative and myself. I still would not oil an o-ring in this situation due to its inherent nature to allow give and to self seal.

I have just found confirmation of this in the VZ Service and Repair Manual. Picture link attached below;

Attachments

• VZ Oil.jpg
    VZ Oil.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 2,003