Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil in radiator???

guyman

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY_S
this happended to me recently, mechanic said my inlet manifold gaskets needed replacing as they were leaking, got the job done, no problems for over 4 months now

Tiger28

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Exec
Going to get this problem fixed this week guys.How do I know if it's the radiator or inlet manifold gaskets that need to be done ??? dont want to replace not the existing problem.Can the mechanics test out for either one.Thanks guys.

Tiger28

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Exec
this happended to me recently, mechanic said my inlet manifold gaskets needed replacing as they were leaking, got the job done, no problems for over 4 months now

what did that cost you??

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
If its the radiator the oil will be pink or reddish colour.

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
Going to get this problem fixed this week guys.How do I know if it's the radiator or inlet manifold gaskets that need to be done ??? dont want to replace not the existing problem.Can the mechanics test out for either one.Thanks guys.
Just do both. They are both going to need to be done eventually. If the radiator has some k's on it (100,000+) then it's going to be ready for the bin soon anyway.

I had a slow coolant leak, no idea what was causing it, replaced radiator, inlet gaskets, thermostat and heater tap all at the same time. Problem solved!

If its the radiator the oil will be pink or reddish colour.
And it'll float. If the gunk in the radiator is suspended in the coolant it's from the pellets, or from the coolant gunking up due to a leak.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Just do both. They are both going to need to be done eventually. If the radiator has some k's on it (100,000+) then it's going to be ready for the bin soon anyway.

Have to disagree there, my radiator has clocked 170,000kms still going strong :)

Tiger28

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Exec
Took the car in to the mechanic and he had a good look at it.Did a pressure test cooling system check all was fine ,checked trans cooler and and trans oil and engine oil all was fine.He said oily brown residue on overflow dipstick and radiator cap is from the pellets holden put in and nothing is wrong with the car.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Took the car in to the mechanic and he had a good look at it.Did a pressure test cooling system check all was fine ,checked trans cooler and and trans oil and engine oil all was fine.He said oily brown residue on overflow dipstick and radiator cap is from the pellets holden put in and nothing is wrong with the car.

If it was the cooling system pellets causing the "OILY" contamination then this should show up on every car that has the pellets added. It does not because it's a faulty diagnosis.

I have NEVER had any sign of brown or other contaminant in my cooling system in my VY and I added the pellets myself with the last cooling system flush I carried out. 20 months later the coolant is very clean. There is no sign of any contaminent whatsoever on the coolant dipstick, in the radiator or on the radiator cap. The coolant is very, very clean. This is how it has always been on my vehicle and is how it should be.

The "oily brown" residue you refer to is not due to the cooling system pellets as the mechanic maintains. For starters the formulation of the pellets is completely non-oily. Buy some, crush one up and add it to the correct spec coolant mix and you will see that there is absolutely no "oily" substance formed in the sample.

In any event you have indicated above that you have flushed your radiator twice and the "oily" contamination re-appears each time. It will until the real problem is addressed.

Oil obviously floats and, as you have found, if an oily substance has found it's way into the coolant some will eventually attach itself to the radiator cap, the top of the inside of the radiator and the coolant dipstck.