Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil in radiator???

Tiger28

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Exec
Oil is fine with no film on it similar to the radiator cap. Transmission colour is bright red and was serviced a couple months ago and all is fine.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Is it over heating or using coolant? If not then I'd leave it alone. As I said mine had a bit of oil in the radiator and it turned out the inlet manifold had come loose on the heads. I simply tightened the nuts back up and the next day it got driven from Sydney to Echuca then up to Moree and back to Sydney and there was no overheating, no loss of coolant.

Tiger28

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Exec
Theres definitely oil getting in, thats not coolant pellet sludge. Id be betting on intake manifold gasket mate

I'm starting to think the same it's the intake manifold gaskets.Radiator doesnt loose coolant or overheat and has no leaks as it has been pressure tested.Just want to make sure that's the problem as 3 mechanics have stuffed me around already saying radiator gone !!!.Is there a way I can know for sure it is the intake manifold gaskets.One mechanic quoted me $215 to do this.

Richard Moss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Chevrolet Lumina Coupe S (Monaro CV6)
I'm pretty sure that GM/Holden do an upgraded inlet manifold gasket for these - made from aluminium if memory serves me right. I gather that it's a reasonably straightforward job to fix.

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
I think the aftermarket metal gaskets from MACE and a few others might be cheaper than factory Holden ones.

Tiger28

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Exec
Rang holden today they said gaskets were $65 .Bursons quoted me $112 lol.Going to tell mechanic check and makesure it's the problem

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
My car coolant was a dark brown colour when I got it.
It hadn't had a service for 35000 km.
I had oily goo in my coolant overflow bottle.
I replaced the coolant. It stayed green but every 1000km or so there'd be a teaspoon of oily goo in the bottle.
So I changed the oil - and there was less goo.
Finally did a full bleed of the cooling system with the heater on - and now no oily goo at all?
Can anyone explain what exactly this was caused by? Would the thicker newer oil be less susceptible to weeping through the inlet manifold gasket?