Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil in throttle body?

OBR1EN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore
My executive has been playing up lately not reving past 4500rpm in drive and not kicking down to first basically just being sluggish i thought it may have been gearbox and got that serviced but did not resolve the problem, i took the intake pipe of and there seems to be oil in the vacumm or whatevr hose it is and it has splattered into the intake pipe therefore going into the throttle body does anybody know what this could be? Help would be appreciated! Cheers

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Sludged engine? How many kms, how often do you change the oil?

Take the oil cap off and look in there, can you see a shiny metal plate or is it covered in sludge?

OBR1EN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore
Hey mate thanks for the reply,

I just looked then and yes its all sludgy, oil was changed about 7000KM ago.. and the pipe that the oil is going into the intake from is the pipe coming from the pcv valve it think.. Could it need a flush or am I looking at more serious problems?

Cheers!

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I guess the VZ and VE alloytecs have more or less the same plumbing. I had my intake pipe off yesterday and found oil in it too. about 10ml of oil. Had a service about 2000 k's ago and they cleaned the throttle body - still looks clean, so they would have had the pipe off then too, and they didn't say anything about it. Is it normal or....

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
If its sludged to the point of affecting engine performance then it could be pretty bad.

Problem with flushing the engine is the dislodged sludge can block the oil pickup and starve the engine of oil which will sieze it...

You can try engine flush just make sure its only at idle and if it starts to knock shut it down straight away. If it knocks it will need the sump removed and the sump and pickup cleaned out. Dump the oil and filter afterwards of course. Prob do this every 5000kms and see if it improves. Also get some carby cleaner and clean the throttle body out and get all the oil out of your intake piping and pcv lines with some degreaser..

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
so you've found oil in your intake pipe? the length of piping that attaches to your throttle body?...and you think it's coming from that skinnier hose that goes into your intake piping..is that right? or have i missed something?...i think the vacuum hose your talking about is the breather hose...it's job is simple, when filling up with oil the oil runs past your valve train and straight down into the sump..breather hose is simply there to allow the oil to drop to the sump quicker without going glug glug glug.

what can happen is that where you got it serviced from, they could have filled your engine up with oil too quickly and its gone through that breather hose and into the intake, hence why you've found oil in the intake piping...or what will happen, over time oil will splash up into the breather hose and eventually make its way into the intake piping.

when i first got my car, about 5 months ago, it had oil in the intake piping, that was 72,000 kms worth...its not heaps, it was just slowly leaking into the intake piping, get a rag and wipe it down, i used carby/throttle body cleaner on a rag/paper towel to wipe it up...just make sure wherever you've used the cleaner, to flush it with water, these cleaners can bugger up the plastic.

long story short, if its coming from that little hose and it's only a little bit of oil, it's nothing to worry about...just clean it up and clean up your throttle body...as for having sludge in your engine, ricey is right about the engine flush..but if i was you..after running engine flush in your oil and you drop the oil and swap the filter, i'd be getting that sump off anyway to clean it right up, kerosene or prepsol (if you can't find it just go to repco and get the K&H wax and grease remover)...other then that, do exactly what ricey said regardin the engine oil flush, every 5000, if it knocks, shut it down.

hope this helped ya, cheers mate

OBR1EN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore
Thanks for the reply guys,

I have car booked in for tommorow to get serviced as its dues for its next one now. Apparently the oil is coming from the pcv valve piping but is comon if car gets a work out every now and then. Hopefully the throttle body clean up will help it and as for the slightly sludgy oil hopefully a flush and oil change will fix it. But could the oil up in intake be why it wont push past 4500rpm or drop down to first gear (unless im doing like 10km) its like it has a limiter @ 4500rpm. I thought it was the gearbox so went and got that serviced and they said it was perfectly fine.

Cheers!

Dz811

Just some p-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6
sounds ok... but i'm a little confused as to why the oil sludge would in any way affect the revving of the car, and even moreso the way it down gears?...

seems like 2 different issues there... But thats just me

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
Im confused, which side of the Throttle body, Intake Pipe or manifold side?

Manifold side could possible be blow by. How much oil, maybe some photo's would be good.. If you can get a photo of the oil on the Throttle body and the sludge on the oil cap..