Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil in vt 5l radiator had head gasket check seem ok !! Help !!

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 holden belina sedan 5L V8
hello,
i have a 1999 vt ss 5.0 v8 series 1, done 175.000 kms
there is oil in the radiator, brown sludgy stuff, i had a head gasket check and a radiator pressure test done all seem ok,
car seems to drive fine, blows no smoke, no aparent water in the oil,
i really want to get this fixed, mechanic says doesnt seem to be a head gasket,
so im hoping someone will know what it is, could it be an inlet manifold gasket???

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
Yours is V8? I have a VT V6 which had the same problem. Turns out that the transmission oil cooler in the radiator was cracked allowing trans oil into the cooling system. New radiator, problem fixed. The radiators can not be repaired, must be replaced. Seeing that yours is V8, might be different but somewhere to start.

Reaction score
Members Ride
i have thought of that, but wouldnt the oil appear redish in the coolent?,
the oil in there is definately brown, not black or grey or anything just plain brown, but theres too much of it to be ignored, i clean it out once a week at the moment, and i keep driving the car as per usual, i really want to get it fixed asap,

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
How long since you changed the coolant?
Those 'pellets' that are put into the coolant system tend to go a brown sludgy mess if left in too long. Noticable under the radiator cap. Could be your problem!..For your sake, I hope it is.

Reaction score
Members Ride
unfortunately not, this problem was discovered when i got a proffesional cooling system flush, and they told me there was oil in the coolent, and sure enough, ever since brown oil has been coming up thru fresh coolent

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
i had the same prob in my v6 i thought it was the inlet manifold gasget but when i droped the water it seemed to have a red tinge in it so i think maybe the transmision oil cooler also there was brown gunk under the cap

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
yep, my coolant had brownish gunk, made me think engine oil but it was transmission fluid. new radiator fixed it.

Reaction score
Members Ride
so i shouldnt rule out the radiator despite the oil being brown? the radiator had a pressure test and came up ok, should that show a trans leak?
i tried to do a smell test on it today trying to see what sort of oil it is, but just smelt like coolent,
i ite hav to go try another mechanic, im just reluctant to spend any more on just the diagnosis, its cost me $200 already for the radiator pressure checks, head gasket checks etc just to be told keep an eye on it because'we cant find anything wrong with it'