Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil Issues

Speed16

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V
I got 2 questions.

1) How do you reset the oil life meter in Engineering Mode? I have already looked though the forums and found going into engineering mode and pushing the accelerator pedal 3 times quickly then off again doesn't do anything at all so I assume this is for the V8 model. I have a 2006 VE Calais V V6.

2) How much oil is the car suppose to burn during the 15,000km service internal. My car is up for the 60,000km service soon when I heard a bit of an odd rattling noise under the bonnet during hard acceleration. Checking the oil dip stick it showed nothing... bone dry. Got it straight to the Holden dealer, they changed the oil and filter and rattle is now gone but they said there was barely 2 litres of oil in it. They then went to advise me that the VE are desgined to burn oil and that it was normal, they even recommended that I get it services every 10,000km instead. I don't think they know what they are doing. Any ideas?

webwombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SS-V wagon
Thats not right - unless you drive you car in extreme conditions that require more regular service intervals?

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I change my oil and filter every 7500km - and properly serviced at the 15,000 - but it doesn't chew through that much oil!!! Something's not right.

Also, try and make time for weekly, or at least fortnightly oil level checks. Only takes a second and can save you a fortune!

philsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6
barely 2 litres??? thats just plain scary wonder if its damaged the engine at all?

Speed16

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V
Yeah well thats what I think. Though after the oil change to car seems to sound normal again. I think its too excessive and the Holden dealer just said what he did because he doesn't know any better. I know my VE SV6 that I had never had this issue.

Any ideas on Oil Life reset?

VE_SS_V8

Lunatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Sedan, 57 Chev Belair, Harley Davidson
1. Turn the key to 'ON' but do not start the car.
2. push accelerator pedal fully to the floor 3 times
3. turn off igntion

The next time you go into engineering mode the oil life will be 100%

Speed16

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V
1. Turn the key to 'ON' but do not start the car.
2. push accelerator pedal fully to the floor 3 times
3. turn off igntion

The next time you go into engineering mode the oil life will be 100%

Thanks VE_SS_V8, not trying to be rude or anything but as I said in the original post that method doesn't work and I assume it's for the V8 only. Any other suggestions?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
No, it IS the V6 method, but remember the process has to be performed in under 3 seconds, so it has to be done very quickly.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
I got 2 questions.

1) How do you reset the oil life meter in Engineering Mode? I have already looked though the forums and found going into engineering mode and pushing the accelerator pedal 3 times quickly then off again doesn't do anything at all so I assume this is for the V8 model. I have a 2006 VE Calais V V6.

2) How much oil is the car suppose to burn during the 15,000km service internal. My car is up for the 60,000km service soon when I heard a bit of an odd rattling noise under the bonnet during hard acceleration. Checking the oil dip stick it showed nothing... bone dry. Got it straight to the Holden dealer, they changed the oil and filter and rattle is now gone but they said there was barely 2 litres of oil in it. They then went to advise me that the VE are desgined to burn oil and that it was normal, they even recommended that I get it services every 10,000km instead. I don't think they know what they are doing. Any ideas?

I have an idea, dont ever go to that dealer again!