Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil leak from VR 5ltr. .

89vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Ve clubsport
Hi guys. .
Ive just serviced my VR 5ltr and it never really had any oil leaks before hand. .
But now for some reason its leaking oil from the middle of the car. (Bell housing its dripping off).
Im thinking it maybe coming from the oil cooler lines but its not really gearbox oil.
Is there anything else back there it could be? Its to hot now to get back under but i will later.
Any help would be great! Thanks guys!

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
Yeah your screwed in short...

Im going to say its either a rear main seal which requires the engine to be removed in order to replace it as you have to undo/lift the crank out to change it or its your sump gasket thats leaking and running on the underside lip of the sump along the bolts, getting to the last bolt and dripping onto the k- frame and/or bell housing. The sump gasket is also a pain in the back side as you need to either remove the engine o drop the k-frame, so much of a muchness really...

Exactly this happened to me when I over filled my engine with oil.... Blew the seals out....

89vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Ve clubsport
Fark! Hmm Whats the best fuel to burn this with? Brought the car last year as a lil project car and something to stuff around with but all its done lately is give me the shits! I didnt over fill the oil or anything? It just started after being up on ramps. #### i hate cars! Lol

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
Well firstly, take it off the ramps!

If the rear main is gone a little bit then you wont notice it leaking if your on level ground where as you will notice it more if the oil is banked up against it due to the nose of the car being higher then the rear.

But before you take it off the ramps, degrease the christ out of everything under there and then hose it off..

Let it dry over night on level ground and in the morning get an old sheet or bit of cardboard and lay it on the ground, drive over it and let our car get to running temp and check to see if the leak has come back.

The cardboard or what ever your using will give you an indication of weather or not its leaking.

If its leaking then you should put it back up on ramps and then have a good look to see where its coming from exactly. Take some pics and put them on here if your able, some of us might save you allot of time and or money if we can see what wrong with it.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
You could also use a mirror attached to a flexible lead to check if the leak is coming from your rocker covers. Another possibility is that the leak is coming from the base of the distributor and dripping down the bell housing.

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
If you are lazy and cbf fixing your rear main seal, put heavier oil in it.

A rear main isnt really that hard to change if you have the right tools for it. Its just a matter of driveshaft off, trans off, torque converter and flexplate off, hook the old seal out, fit a new one and reassemble.

89vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Ve clubsport
Thanks heaps for the info guys. I degreased the #### out of it and hosed it down.
I left it up on ramps for the night and tomorrow ill take it for a drive and see what happens.
I used magnatec oil 10w 40 i think it is. Should i drop it and use something else?

89vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Ve clubsport
Oh and it only started leaking after i had serviced it and taken it for a drive.
It leaked then while on flat ground but as soon as i got it up on ramps again and degreased it then it stopped?
Any help at all would be great. You guys are good blokes for helping out.
Prob saved me from burning the car! Lol

89vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Ve clubsport
Na mate it seems to be coming from the back somewhere.?
Ill crawl back under it today and hopefully will find where its coming from.(Ive just had an ankle reco so its a lil hard to crawl under but im doing my best! Lol).
Should i use thicker oil?