Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil leak/pooling in unusual location

Avi8or

Luxo-barging
Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice 6L
Hey all,

Got some thinned oil pooling next to the injectors on the passengers side of the engine (see generic picture), from looking I think it MAY be leaking from the seals between the upper manifold and runners. Re-torqued the bolts but doesn't seem to be making a difference, anybody else experienced anything similar? Car is boosted at 10psi, so it doesn't surprise me that it may be causing it and it may be a sign that my 'sealed' PCV is leaking, but I am more concerned currently in stopping the leak.

Attachments

• !Br,kv6QCGk~$(KGrHqIOKjgEvMk6!nBUBLzjNH8!Rg~~_35.JPG
    !Br,kv6QCGk~$(KGrHqIOKjgEvMk6!nBUBLzjNH8!Rg~~_35.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,324

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Id guess at the rocker gasket/cover is leaking, but The best way to check is to degrease it, drive it for 10mins then pop the hood and check to see any visible wet spots, apart from the few birds U drive past..

Last edited:

aussie bob

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Exec S2
Do the rocker cover gaskets and while your at it do the rubber washers for the bolts (unsure what they are called)

Avi8or

Luxo-barging
Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice 6L
Okay so I cleaned everything up and had a bit more of a drive, it is 100% leaking from the seals between the runners and upper manifold (plenum). Guess I will replace them first, re-torque the bolts again (do they shear easily?) and then chase up where the damn oil is entering the system in the first place.

aussie bob

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Exec S2
How's your coolant level? Are you losing any? Is there any oil in the water?

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
Okay so I cleaned everything up and had a bit more of a drive, it is 100% leaking from the seals between the runners and upper manifold (plenum). Guess I will replace them first, re-torque the bolts again (do they shear easily?) and then chase up where the damn oil is entering the system in the first place.

The only way you can get oil into the plenum chamber is through the PCV valve.

My bet, is that you have a stuffed PCV valve and o-rings.

Order new intake manifold o-rings from Holden and inspect the plenum bolts and PCV valve for damage.

When reassembling, apply a small amount of Blue Maxx on the outside edge of the intake manifold. Just extra insurance that the plenum is air tight with no present leaks.

Avi8or

Luxo-barging
Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice 6L
So about two weeks ago I had the plenum off, checked the PCV, made sure it was completely air tight (due to the boost), replaced the seals between the runners and upper manifold (with sealant as well) put it all back together and still it leaks from what I can see. Next step will be to get it on the dyno and run it up to see if I can visually see what's going on under there.

AA6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs v6 ute S2
You sure its coming from above where the plenum attaches to the manifold? Sometimes oil and/or coolant can travel up the bolts holding the intake manifold to the head when the inlet manifold gasket is leaking.

Avi8or

Luxo-barging
Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice 6L
Okay interesting, I will check that out then. I haven't been down to check on it in a while so tomorrow I will give it a shot.