Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

oil leak under load

olsmokey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive wagon
I,ve got a 3.8 Litre vp that blows a lot of oil from somewhere top rear of the motor when towing a trailer straight onto the exhaust (end result a lot of smoke) but doesn't with normal running round, have replaced valley gasket, rocker covers look ok can anyone help? without a hoist I can't get a good look at where its coming from

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6
Is it power-steering fluid?

I know mine leaks just before the rack and pinion, which I've really gotta fix, just can't be bothered.

Or is it actually motor oil?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
there should be oil on the engine somewhere, close to the black patch on the exhaust. rocker cover or valley gasket?

blownba

Reaction score
Sure it engine oil.
I know on VR half way through production of them they went to locking dipsticks on the transmission because the transmissions were boiling the fluid and spitting the dipsticks out dumping oil onto the exhaust causing fires. the recall was to fit a locking dipstick like on VT etc... and change the breather for the gearbox too. The breather line was cable tied to the trans dipstick behind the drivers side head. It was open at the top and would spew out oil when the transmission temps were too high. the recall included a little steel pipe with a small hole in it acting as a restrictor in the end of a piece of hose with a joiner on the other end. You would cut the breather from its original position and fit the new hose and then run it to the chassis rail and stick the end into a hole that is in the rail next to the steering shaft and then cable tie it to the fuel lines. This would allow any oil to run down the chassis rail and leak out away from the exhaust.
There were ALOT of reports of cars catching fire when they dumped oil out of the dipstick and breather when towing. thats why they did a recall.
I would seriously be checking that mate.
If it really is engine oil than maybe the excess blow by created when towing is somehow pressurizing the crankcase and pushing oil out of something that normally seals well under normal driving.

Was it the drivers side it leaked on???? cause if it was I would be willing to bet it was the trans dipstick.. I have seen it plenty of times years ago when VN/ VP's were still fairly new.

olsmokey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive wagon
thanks to all and to blownba its definately engine oil and dripping on right engine pipe where it bends to the left side just before it joins the left engine pipe will check what you suggested and to all very much appreciated